Canned Jobs (Customer Type)

A place to post for now; some will turn into TIPS under the other topics
MattFMN
25 Club: Starting Contributor

Canned Jobs (Customer Type)

Post by MattFMN »

I looked over the Enhancement list and didn't really see this, although I'm positive we've had this discussion and it seemed like a no-brainer.

We should be able to choose Customer Type when building Canned Jobs. Our diagnostic rate is about 33.33% higher than our regular door/shop rate. I would like to build a few diagnostic routines into our system as canned jobs (ie: Level 1, Level 2, etc, etc). Canned jobs I can put what ever the cost is to the client, but it only reflects that of our base rate.

Am I going about it wrong? Is there a better way? I'm thinking of creating a txt or doc document with job descriptions so that my SA can just copy/paste into a regular Labor op and select Customer Type and time from there.

Thoughts?

Thanks, Matt.
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: Canned Jobs (Customer Type)

Post by ricmorin »

Customer type is about rates relating to the customer, however, many users (myself included) repurpose that into difficulty level. The program was not built with difficulty level in mind, hence what seems so obvious to us is not available. We have discussed this in the past, but I'm unsure if there are plans to address this. I think they have a lot on their plates right now.

I use the rates both ways: as customer type and difficulty level. On a programming level, we likely can't have both. Here's my thought/proposal: Change labor rates to difficulty level. I think if we did a poll, most would like this. Change customer type to a percentage plus or minus which applies to all difficulty levels. That way we can have our cake and eat it too.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
MattFMN

Post by MattFMN »

I was thinking they could just enable the Customer Type tab on a Canned Job. We have about 5 different Customer Types (ie, Standard, Euro, Diagnostic, etc, etc.). When you select a Canned Job, unless I'm mistaken, it defaults to the first Type you have and cannot be switched on the fly.

I was hoping, perhaps naively, they could just enable that tab and allow us to create limitless Canned Jobs by Customer Type, or as you say Difficulty.

Later, Matt.
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

In that context there is no need, as when you transfer a canned job it inherits the 'customer type' of the customer, thus changing the rate on the fly.
Window confirmation upon transfer of canned job where customer type is other than Default
Window confirmation upon transfer of canned job where customer type is other than Default
cannedjobtransfer.png (8.08 KiB) Viewed 2897 times
So if your customer is set to a type other than default, the canned job labor will change to that rate.
603-622-6434 x203

MattFMN

Post by MattFMN »

So, perhaps, we are using Customer Type incorrectly? Jobs are Diagnostic, not Clients. So...is there a better way?
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

I think a fundamental change from Customer Type labor rates to Difficulty Type is in order. On top of that, there still is a need for Customer Type adjustments. I propose that Customer Type be a percentage adjustment, perhaps 4 our more choices.

In the meantime, if users (myself included) are using difficulty levels in their labor rates, it'll be a manual adjustment.
603-622-6434 x203

Return to “Tips + Ideas”