Mail Lists - Last In With Multiple Vehicles?

A place to post for now; some will turn into TIPS under the other topics
beckleyauto

Mail Lists - Last In With Multiple Vehicles?

Post by beckleyauto »

I use an Excel query to produce make specific mailing list from the Michell db. This allows me to sort by make, zip, visits, money spent, etc. The problem is many customers have had multiple cars over the years and they all populate with the same "last in" date. Consequently a customer may show 6 cars but only two of them are active. Any way to eliminate cars I haven't seen for xx years?
Steve Beckley
Beckley Imports Inc
Des Moines, IA 50309
515-243-8185
service@beckleyauto.com
ARS
300 Club: Superstar Contributor
300 Club: Superstar Contributor

Re: mail lists

Post by ARS »

We made up a separate account called sold vehicles... if we know that the customer sold, junked or totaled a vehicle we move it to this file. It helps to clean up the customer's accounts... sometimes people get emails about their vehicles that they got rid of.. so this helps with that situation. When moving it to sold.. we do a couple things... in the vehicle memo- we put the customer's name in it. We delete the license plate & transfer any recommends to the memo (so they do not show up on future follow-up reports) & then we delete the inspection date or move it to the memo ( for the same reason).

Hope This Helps,
ARS
beckleyauto

Re: Mail Lists - Last In With Multiple Vehicles?

Post by beckleyauto »

Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately I'm 10,000 customers too late to make that work for my immediate needs but I will start doing that from now on. Good idea. What I believe I'm looking for is a way to write a query or manipulate Mitchells db to provide accurate last in dates for owners individual cars - not simply the owners last in.
Steve Beckley
Beckley Imports Inc
Des Moines, IA 50309
515-243-8185
service@beckleyauto.com
beckleyauto

Re:Solution - When was a vehicle (not customer) last in?

Post by beckleyauto »

For those of you who specialize - I wanted to produce customer mailing lists that were make specific. For example; One for Mercedes customers and a different one for Porsche. The problem was a customer may have 6 vehicles attached to his account - 2 are active, 4 are long gone. Requesting "customer last in" in the query resulted in the same date for all cars attached to that customer. . No help. Then I added "vehicle last in by date" to the query and that solved the problem. Now I can sort and delete any cars and I haven't serviced in 1-2-3 years (whatever) and be reasonably confident I'm not wasting postage and my customers patience. This works in 5.9.
Steve Beckley
Beckley Imports Inc
Des Moines, IA 50309
515-243-8185
service@beckleyauto.com

Return to “Tips + Ideas”