Replace Alternator Decoupler or Alternator?

Information and links to Repair assets on the forum
sbebenelli
750 Club: World Class Contributor

Replace Alternator Decoupler or Alternator?

Post by sbebenelli »

When a car comes in with a bad alternator decoupler do you replace just the decoupler or do you replace the whole alternator?
nickscarcare

Re: Replace Alternator Decoupler or Alternator?

Post by nickscarcare »

Usually here we just quote the alternator, we do give options if available and explain the pros and cons of both ways.
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

507-345-6425
http://www.nickscarcare.com
Jeff @ Able Auto
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Post by Jeff @ Able Auto »

Same here. Have the tool kit for the decoupler, used it once.
Jeff Fitzgerald - retired
Treasure Coast of Florida
"there will be enough time to sleep when we're dead"
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

Mileage, condition, battery condition to see if alternator has been overworking, how customer has felt in the past about doing work to avoid future issues and how I feel letting a potential "come back" leave the shop. I never loose sight of the fact that no matter what I do if something happens there will always be someone around who knows nothing willing to explain how they would have handled it helping the person onto the victim bandwagon. Sometimes issues like this go beyond will it or will it not fail, it goes to what the person is going to post on the internet and how being blamed is going to effect me. That's my opinion for what i's worth..................................................
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Post by Tim Martin »

I am thinking along the same line as Steve. The one thing about these kind of repairs is that no 2 situations are alike and that is somewhat where Steve was going with his comments. Here at our shop, we usually will replace the alternator as a unit. Currently, I do not have the tool to simply replace the pulley by itself. Most of our customers, if given the opportunity to say so, would be willing to spend a few more dollars and have a warranty on the alternator as a new unit rather than go the cheapest dollar route.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

It would be a rare case for me to do just the decoupler. I think of the alternator failing later and it has a new decoupler on it how do we warranty that. Not all situations are the same Its kinda like replacing a a/c clutch.
sbebenelli

Post by sbebenelli »

Thanks for the replies. We have always just replaced the alternator. I didn't know how others handled it. It's nice to know others do the same thing.

Return to “MEMBER REPAIR TIPS”