Mazda 2 Ford Swap - No Power Rough Idle

Information and links to Repair assets on the forum
AFFORDABLEAUTOREPAIR
25 Club: Starting Contributor

Mazda 2 Ford Swap - No Power Rough Idle

Post by AFFORDABLEAUTOREPAIR »

MOTOR SWAP FROM MAZDA TO FORD BOTH V-6 2.5L, DIFFERENT DIST.
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Re: NO POWER ROUGH IDLE

Post by Tim Martin »

What year, make and model vehicles?
AFFORDABLEAUTOREPAIR
25 Club: Starting Contributor

Re: NO POWER ROUGH IDLE

Post by AFFORDABLEAUTOREPAIR »

THANKS FOR YOUR CONCERN ITS A 1997MAZDA 626 THE ENGINE I PUT IN IS A 94 FORD FROM SALVAGE YARD BOTH ARE V-6S 2.5L MAYBE A PROBE OR MYSTIQUE
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Re: Mazda 2 Ford Swap - No Power Rough Idle

Post by timbre4 »

There is no Mystique in 1994 so it must be a Probe to be the right engine assembly for everything to bolt up.

Given that, here is a note from an interchange manual I used to have a hand in writing:

"Change exhaust & electrical systems as necessary". [true of most engine swaps]

I remember Ford calibration codes that designated distributor and sensors to be pretty precise. So I think you're installing a long block and using all of the ORIGINAL accessories (components) from the Mazda to even be in the ballpark. That Ford distributor is not going to talk to the Mazda electronics for example, because it's not the intended unit for the car.
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Well, I have done quite a few swaps similar to what you are describing. I have always found that when doing this kind of swap, there are electronic issues that usually develop. I didn't take the time to check wiring diagrams etc, but I have found that at times, even though, physically the engines are basically the same, some of the sensors, wiring, may not be. What I have had to do is transfer all the electrical components from the motor I pulled out to the one I put in. I have also had to already had to change fuel injectors and regulators to get them to work properly.

While I enjoy working underhood, there are times when it can get rather frustrating. Especially if the salvage yard says "Oh yea they fit rite in".

Some time back I installed an engine from a Chevy Spectrum into a Toyota Corolla. Physically it was the same basic motor but I had to make many transfers to get it to work.

Good Luck on your project!
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

I installed a Toyota 2TC "container" (used, crated from Japan) engine into my Corolla. The engine itself was identical except for the fact that everything was mounted on the wrong sides! Lots of extra work but it did run fine...... eventually.

The auto recycling business benefits from standards and a standardized trading language; it will create stress for everyone when bad shortcuts or hearsay are introduced into the process. It's a science, and a weird one at that. 8)
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

when i replace an engine with a used one if they're not a model to model swap i'll strip em down to long block and swap over.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Return to “MEMBER REPAIR TIPS”