O2 Sensor Replacement Thoughts

Information and links to Repair assets on the forum
jbadenoch
400 Club: Mega-Star Contributor
400 Club: Mega-Star Contributor

O2 Sensor Replacement Thoughts

Post by jbadenoch »

I have gotten burned a couple of times by replacing one or two oxygen sensors that had failed.

After scanning the others and watching them work fine the vehicle returns with another one that has failed within days or weeks. Explaining that to frustrated customers is a losing game. I am contemplating suggesting all o/2s any time I see one fail.

I would be interested in what others do or think about this.
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: O2 Sensor Replacement Thoughts

Post by steven kiser »

with a vehicle of high mileage, i will recommend all replacement. i always explain to the customer the pro's and con's. if the sensors are borderline, a new one in the link will cause the others to show bad. it's all how the pcm reads and interprets it.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Post by Tim Martin »

steven kiser wrote:with a vehicle of high mileage i will recommend all replacement. i always explain to the customer the pro's and con's. if the sensors are border line a new one in the link will cause the others to show bad. it's all how the pcm reads and interprets it.
Same for us. I try to keep the customer informed and involved in the process.
prestigeauto
50 Club: Regular Contributor
50 Club: Regular Contributor

Post by prestigeauto »

Mode 6 is sometimes helpful if you should recommend all or just the one that set the code.
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

prestigeauto wrote:Mode 6 is sometimes helpful if you should recommend all or just the one that set the code.
I agree. In the diagnosis I perform on the vehicles with mode 6 capability, it certainly is useful.

Another aspect that comes into play is the matter of trust that the customer has in the shop. If the customer perceives the shop as trying to get more money, then he has an issue but if the customer trusts the shop to be looking out for the best interest of the vehicle owner, then it becomes much easier to sell o2 sensors as needed to avoid additional issues.

Return to “MEMBER REPAIR TIPS”