Ford Diesel Tools?

Information and links to Repair assets on the forum
slowtech
50 Club: Regular Contributor
50 Club: Regular Contributor

Ford Diesel Tools?

Post by slowtech »

After reading the posts on Ford diesel repair I would like to expand our service beyond maintenance, water pumps & glow plug circuits. A lot of you are very experienced with diesels. What would be an essential tool list to be serious about jumping in? Thanks. Tom
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Re: Ford diesel tools

Post by brianp87 »

The only thing I can think of is the removal tool for gm injectors.
liljoe
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Re: Ford diesel tools

Post by liljoe »

On the 7.3s you will need some special fittings to test the HPOP as well as a high pressure gauge( I use a brake fluid pressure gauge with some fabricated fittings), on the 6.0s about the main thing is lots of patience when tracing down a loss of high oil pressure, jump in and make some green backs, not much to these after just a little studying and research on the systems, I recomend the coffey table books on these engines ( can be found on the net, Google it) they go way indepth on the systems/sub-systems on these engines. Any problems you run into can usually be helped on here and the tip system in OD5.com....
Working hard to prove the Green Team can do it with the best of 'em.
Always remember: AIN'T NO FREE LUNCHES!!
Am I the Only One?- I don't think I am.
The further a society retreats from the truth, the more it hates those who speak it. George Orwell.
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Re: Ford Diesel Tools?

Post by Tim Martin »

You will also need a very good scan tool to diagnose these stroker diesels. Some scan tools function slowly on the Fords while others are fast. The Ford IDS system appears to be among the best for these engines.

Two other things you will need are lots of patience and persistence. Unfortunately these are not available for purchasing anywhere.
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

OTC offers a set of sockets and pressure adapters that i've found very helpful. Don't go crazy on all the dsl tools you see.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Yea steve I agree with your line of advice. Don't buy the tool just because it says it can be used on a diesel application. Not that I learned the hard way but some money can be saved by doing some improvising and still get the job done.

Another aspect of the diesel world: Don't hesitate to get training. Take seminars and classes when they are available. Also, check out AVI's website for alot of useful videos of diesel engine diagnosis. The ones I got are down right good and well worth the money.

Return to “MEMBER REPAIR TIPS”