2005 Chev Silverado 3500 - Coolant Leak

Specific repair issues for GM RWD trucks, SUVs & vans
nickscarcare
750 Club: World Class Contributor

2005 Chev Silverado 3500 - Coolant Leak

Post by nickscarcare »

I have a customer asking about a coolant leak that the dealer told him was above the transmission, it needs to be pulled in order to fix, I don't work on many deisels, and he was asking if i would do this job. I am wondering if anyone has seen this before and if it is a easy job or not. He also has an oil leak somewhere that he would want fixed. I have not looked at it, he just would rather pay someone else over the dealer, I have bought stuff from him before and he was just trying to repay the favor, helping small businessess out. Thank him for that but don't know if I want to get involved in this job or not???
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

507-345-6425
http://www.nickscarcare.com
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 2005 Chev Silverado 3500 - Coolant Leak

Post by steven kiser »

let me tell you this, if you're a small shop and can't afford to tie up a bay and aren't equipped to do heavy work then do your customer and yourself a big favor and stay away from it. now having said that before you really go any further look at it. it may be an intake issue or the freeze plug in the back of the block. i've seen upper leaks running down the back of the block and would swear it's between the engine and transmission. as we all well know the dealers aren't the gods on Mount Olympus.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
nickscarcare

Post by nickscarcare »

Well I may have to at least look at this, the customer has stopped by again wondering if I would do it. He wants to bring it here and not the dealer. They told him there is a tube that runs from head to head across the back and the only way to get to it is to remove the trans with the engine in the vehicle. I just don't have a drive on hoist yet, so it would be to do this all on the ground, I told him I am not equipped to do it, but he still says I would really like to bring it there. Hate to turn him away as he is persitant about bringing it here, but at the same time not real familliar with diesels, not that that matters.
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

507-345-6425
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

I would verify the leak is coming form that area. Then give him an approx: cost and tiem frame based of what you see. Then tackle the job. Unless you dont have a roll around tranny jack. Ive never had an allison out but they look heavy
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

i'm not going to pull the soap box out, but if you're not equipped then stay away from it. not a challenge about your ability or integrity but i'm just trying to share my knowledge about issues like this. i've been around long enough to remember working on flat heads, a long time, and almost every accident that i've had or seen revolves around improper equipment or improper training on the proper equipment. i know people that are digit impaired, partially blind, missing hands, arms, feet, legs, etc because they felt that they =could do something that they weren't equipped to do. let's just say for example you have the transmission on a floor jack, the truck isn't jacked up because if it was the floor jack wouldn't reach high enough for the transmission. as it is you have a couple of 2x4's securing it. you took the caution of using a piece of rope to secure it all together. your under there and pry the transmission away from the engine. suddenly it starts to tip. you struggle to hold it. we all think we can, usually until it's to late. the idea of getting out of the way crosses your mind. your surrounded by tools, drop light cords, air hoses, and a truck that's low enough to work on. pucker up baby, you're in a bit of trouble. a smashed bell housing suddenly looks like the best of all the options. ya, ya, i know this is an extreme and it will never happen to you. you've got it all figured out. we all have had it figured out at one time or another with less than positive results. don't be a statistic that the insurance institute uses when they publish their figures.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Post by Tim Martin »

To work on this truck would be a money maker cause all Duramax's are time and tool consuming. However, as stated before, if you are not equipped to handle an Allison trans, ya better insist that he take it elsewhere. Or, if yer in a position to get a good trans jack, I recently got a new one from MAC and it was under $1,000. I do most of my tranny jobs on the lift but I had a F550 Ford that I couldn't get on my lift and so I purchased a floor trans jack. At times I also have to turn away a job cause I ain't got what it takes to do the job.

But those Chevy Duramax's can be tricky so if you decide to take the job on, make sure ya got yer homewerk done and yer bases covered.
protraxrptr17
100 Club: Active Contributor
100 Club: Active Contributor

Post by protraxrptr17 »

Make sure its not the water pump. Its usually kinda hard to pinpoint when it leaks. The fan blows water around everywhere. It is not behind the fan. Its gear driven and located on the lower left front of the engine. Also, I have had problems with the o-ring on the steel portion of the upper radiator hose. It can rundown the lifter valley and drip off the back.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Yes you dont want to break the transmission or yourself. You gotta be able to handle that guy. And they do look heavy. I have a floor tranny jack i got from napa a few years ago to do a F550 that was so loaded down I couldnt lift high. If this truck doesnt have boxes and isnt loaded down I would rather do it in the air. Either way what ever you decide good luck.
nickscarcare

Post by nickscarcare »

Finally got this guy convinced to go to another shop, he found someone who was reputable, and at a better price than the dealer. He said he understand the not being totally set up with the new shop yet to handle that big truck. He says he will still keep me in mind, we shall see. Good customer to deal with, why can't there be lots more of them!! Thanks guys! :D

507-345-6425

Return to “GM Trucks”