2005 Chev 2500HD - 6.0L Refuel Problem

Specific repair issues for GM RWD trucks, SUVs & vans
asample
300 Club: Superstar Contributor

2005 Chev 2500HD - 6.0L Refuel Problem

Post by asample »

Looking for a little insight.
Have 2005 Chev 2500HD with 6.0L (U) engine. All of a sudden it won’t take gas.
Had 2 codes P0455 -Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Vent System Performance and
P0455 - Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System Large Leak Detected
Smoked for leaks. None found. Monitor data. Unable to get EVAP purge valve on intake to respond. Replaced valve and cleared codes. Test drive. Attempted to fill with gas. Took about 3 gallons very well then regurgitated out fill pipe.

Removed EVAP canister and vent valve. Cleaned and flow tested components and lines. Did have considerable amount of dirt in valve. Reassembled and again attempted to add gas. Took about one gallon and puked back.

Customer had to have vehicle last night so told them I would do more research before removing tank.

Most NAPAFix fixes were vent control solenoids. One was fixed by replacing tank.

There is a tsb listing a service kit to relocate vent valve above transmission.
Any ideas??
Arlin G. Sample
Automotive Services of All Sorts, Inc.
Greeley, CO 80631
970-352-5598
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: Refuel problem

Post by ricmorin »

Usually it is the vent valve on these. If the valve is working, maybe the line is plugged.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
a&mauto
500 Club: Champion Contributor
500 Club: Champion Contributor

Re: 2005 Chev 2500HD - 6.0L Refuel Problem

Post by a&mauto »

Arlin, with your scan tool, command the vent open & closed. Blow thru a clean piece of fuel line connected to the valve and see if it does open. Blow thru the line going back to the tank to see if it is clear. We have even had to disconnect lines at the gas station just to see what helps. We recently found a slightly kinked line on a Ford that didnt look like it would cause such a big problem but it did. The line that was the problem allowed a raised section of the tank to bleed air so that it could fill. I guess if you are pumping in a few gallons a minute, all that air (vapor) needs someplace to go.
Adam Jadovitz
A & M Automotive
Lake Elsinore, CA
951-245-1562
http://www.aandmautorepair.com
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

quick test is to run it with gas cap off. it sounds like ric hit it. woops, i misunderstood the original post. yes the vent valve is most likely stuck. check the exhaust port on the valve. as wild as it sounds i've had spider webs cause problems.
Last edited by steven kiser on Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
asample

Post by asample »

Thanks guys. I will try to get the vehicle back in here in a day or so and then let you know more at that time.

Arlin
Arlin G. Sample
Greeley, CO 80631
970-352-5598
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

another question. did this truck possibly have an after market dump body put on it? i've had a bunch of these that the bracket that supports the filler tube gets bent just enough to puddle gas in it causing a back up. if not, it's probably on top of the tank. we've found it easier to lift the body than drop the tank.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
asample

Post by asample »

Fixed, I think!

After having the truck for a few days after telling them tht we would have to remove the tank for further testing they returned to say that now it seems to be taking fuel as it should. Maybe after cleaning all lines and allowing some circulation through them the problem has been resolved.

The other good thing about this situation is she paid for our diagnosis with this good report.
Arlin G. Sample
Greeley, CO 80631
970-352-5598

Return to “GM Trucks”