2000 Chev G3500 - 5.7L 4th Fuel Pump?

Specific repair issues for GM RWD trucks, SUVs & vans
Auto II Automotive

2000 Chev G3500 - 5.7L 4th Fuel Pump?

Post by Auto II Automotive »

2000 Chevy G3500 5.7L 4 th fuel pump in 8 mo.

Any help? Need pump, harness and filter.
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 2000 Chev G3500 - 5.7L 4th Fuel Pump?

Post by ricmorin »

Welcome to the forum.

A couple questions....

1. What brand of fuel pumps are you using?
2. Do you replace the filter each time?
3. Have you had any failure analysis done by the manufacturer of the pump?
4. What is the fuel pressure?
5. Have you done a fuel analysis for alcohol and contaminants?
6. Have you checked the grounds for voltage drop?

That should get the ball rolling and the mind juices started. :D
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
Auto II Automotive

The first was a Delco OE pump. the 2nd and 3rd were Airtek and the 4th was a New GM delco. Fuel varies from station to station depending were the customer is at. Fuel pressure was at 0 until we rapped on the tank then jumped to normal and the vehicle started. Each pump lasted 2 to 4mo. Harnesses were replaced at the same time as the pumps, as were the fuel fuel filters.
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

So it's got a new GM pump now? It's working fine?

I've had some repeat failures on G vans, especially with Airtex. The ACdelco one was probably a fluke. Airtex is Airtex. My only concern is alcohol in the fuel.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Ive only had one repeat failure on a delphi pump ever I have never used airtex and dont plan on it. But this would make me wonder
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

for years i installed airtex then about 5 or 6 years ago they started to fail. since then it's been delphi on gm's. i've never had an issue with them. i did service a fleet of these and was having a issue with pump failure after 1 year or so. these were a fleet of delivery vans that were purchased used so i never had a history but still felt that a year was way to soon. i found that the harness that was either near or crossed the transmission cross member was corroding and the contact for the pump was being compromised. i repaired the connection and it solved the issue. i feel that since the motor wasn't getting the necessary amps to run at 100% it was wearing out prematurely. i also have experienced relay connector issues. tear apart the pump and see if the commutator surface on the armature has a burn spot. this is usually caused by a low amp power surge. if the pump settles on that spot it will not spin when activated.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Auto II Automotive

Just installed another Delphi pump. Van started right now. Parts supplier was a pain in the A.. as to not warrantying the pump or paying a labor claim. (only) 8000 miles on it.
fortknoxx
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Post by fortknoxx »

Auto II Automotive wrote:Just installed another Delphi pump. Van started right now. Parts supplier was a pain in the A.. as to not warrantying the pump or paying a labor claim. (only) 8000 miles on it.
change suppliers. you have to stand behing the product you sell your customer. your supplier has to stand behind the parts they sell you. If they are on a 1 way street, drive to the next intersection
T-N-T (Tina Nuse-Tolar)
Gone but not forgotten...Camper Bob's

609-760-7079 Cell
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

Auto II Automotive wrote:Just installed another Delphi pump. Van started right now. Parts supplier was a pain in the A.. as to not warrantying the pump or paying a labor claim. (only) 8000 miles on it.
this issue is secondary to the pump failures. if this supplier has been warranting the pumps right along then, if i were him I'd balk at the claim as well. if this van came into my shop with this history the first thing i'd do is to completely check the harness and check amp load at pump. i'd bet dinner that it's going to fail again and the customer may decide to go elsewhere.........................
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Return to “GM Trucks”