1996 Chev S10 Blazer - Batt Dead From Keyless FIXED

Specific repair issues for GM RWD trucks, SUVs & vans
92zman
200 Club: Major Contributor

1996 Chev S10 Blazer - Batt Dead From Keyless FIXED

Post by 92zman »

Have a blazer here that came in for the battery going dead all the time. Checked it out and found then the Keyless Entry Receiver was pulling too many amps with car off. Got the new one and now I can't program the remotes to the truck. Called chevy to make sure then it did not have to be programmed by. They told me then they could not find anything where they say to. Have checked powers and grounds and tried 4 remote. When I put in reprogram mode it will lock and unlock the door like they say it will.. help
Last edited by 92zman on Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Re: 1996 Chevy Blazer S10

Post by brianp87 »

I found this TSB - 56-90-04 hope it helps
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 1996 Chevy Blazer S10

Post by ricmorin »

There is a TSB for revised programming as mentioned by the previous poster. You need to jump pin 8 to pin 4 on the DLC. That should cycle the locks and hatch. Then you press the lock and unlock buttons on the remote for 10-15 seconds until the door locks cycle. Now that transmitter is ready. Then go to the next transmitter within 1 minute and do the same. That should do it.

Make sure you have good batteries in the transmitters.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
92zman

Re: 1996 Chev S10 Blazer - Batt Dead From Keyless

Post by 92zman »

Yea i have seen that one and that is what i was doing. It will not program the remotes at all. Have tried differnt ones too..
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Thats the only Info I have seen. Ive never had an issue with these.
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Well, if you are sure all the powers, grounds and inputs are good, and you're sure that the remotes are good and the batteries are good, then the only thing left is a defective module.
603-622-6434 x203

steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

I agree with the module. I also seem to remember that when dealing with an issue like this i found if i reburned the pcm along with the entry and alarm program it solved the issue. The pcm needs to read the anti theft module and visa sersa. Another issue with these is grounds. I found that loose grounds wouldn't allow the relays or modules cancel. If i remember correctly (getting up there) there was a main ground point just above the e/brake assembly. Pull the lower knee brace cover back and the bolt that holds the e/brake ratchet assembly to the brae also holds a lug containing multiple grounds. The e/brake slamming up when released would loosen it and all sorts of weird things would happen. Usually it's a grounding issue. I would run a test light to the ground pin at the plug to the module and see if there is a back feed.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
92zman

Post by 92zman »

Will check out the grounds. The weiord thing is then it worked before.But do u have to do that a lot to reflash the pcm when replacing them.
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

This is a simple RKE system that does not interface with the PCM. No. You shouldn't need to touch the PCM.

Double check that the replacement RKE module is the correct one for the vehicle. There are different ones. Also, if you have the ability to read the output of the transmitters, check the strength. Most TPMS tools have this built into them. If you don't, try new batteries even if they worked with the old module.

Just to confirm, do the door locks work with the switches?
603-622-6434 x203

steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

Wasn't sure if it was a stand alone. Been getting away from repairing for a while and things get a bit fuzzy. Another fuzzy point here is, i do believe if there was a remote starter installed at one time there may be a resistor in line that was installed to work with the old module and is blocking any signals from the new one. I remember one chev truck that was doing all sorts of weird stuff and i found that some Bozo or Bozos had installed a remote starter. I got under the dash and removed that unit, boxed it up, and piled the other three systems i found under the dash on the passenger side floor. I see vehicles with multiple after market alarms or remote start systems that are just piggy backed.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Steve, that's a good point. An aftermarket device could very well be at play here. Check carefully for evidence of one.
603-622-6434 x203

brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

yes the remote starters usually have a resistor used to match the resistor in the key. good point
92zman

Post by 92zman »

I rechecked all powers and grounds. They all where good. Looked for a remote starter and did not find any. I have a new keyless computer coming. Batterys in the remotes are good and have more and have tried them.
92zman

Post by 92zman »

found then when u change the keyless computer then u have to up grade the key fobs. so all fixed
steven kiser

Re: 1996 Chev S10 Blazer - Batt Dead From Keyless FIXED

Post by steven kiser »

You would think that the dealer would have mentioned the new fob when they sold you the module. We always ask if there are any updates when we purchase modules. Maybe it's because i'm so used to it because years ago it was common. Change a prom and there was usually a sensor change involved. Personally i would be pissed at the dealer. Another point here is i've replaced a few of these and have relearned the fob's with no problem. Maybe this may be an update to cover frequency changes. I've had to have all my older after market alarms, remote start systems replaced in customers vehicles in my area. They pretty much started failing around the same time and i just attributed it to an additional user on one of the broad cast tower in the local area. There are three and things get scrambles. A few years ago a lot of Ford Motor Co. vehicles would start popping the trunks and un locking the doors. Gm's would remotely start an garages and would set off carbon monoxide detectors.
92zman

Post by 92zman »

Yea i asked them 2 times about it. Yea it does make me mad. But what are u to do. Thought it was funny that after i did some looking and then called them for the 3rd time got a older guy and he said yea u have to by news ones if u have this part #.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

This is a perfect example of why we look at all t.s.b's regarding the issue. We also use Direct Hit a bit. Sometimes we take more time investigating the problem than hands on repairing it.

Return to “GM Trucks”