1994 Ford Bronco - ABS Light

Specific repair issues for RWD trucks, SUVs & vans
TJsAuto

1994 Ford Bronco - ABS Light

Post by TJsAuto »

I am working on a 1994 Ford Bronco 5.8L. The vehicle has an ABS light on with no codes and no communication with any scan tool, all powers and grounds are ok and the ABS control module has been replaced. I have followed all Ford trouble trees and they all lead to a bad ABS control module but that is not the case.

Any ideas would greatly help.
wbuxton
1000 Club: Interstellar

Post by wbuxton »

Red light check out properly? Yellow light check out properly? Brake lights work and dont cause any lights on the dash to change when depressed? Codes are gathered on that one without a scan tool by grounding wire by e-brake.
Uncle PETA said I could come back.
William
Weatherford, TX
817-599-7680
866-744-3887
http://www.phoenixtrans.com
Jeff @ Able Auto
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Post by Jeff @ Able Auto »

TJ be sure to follow ALL grounds.Have had many fords kick my but over ground issues.Be careful to follow the wiring digrams and that ALL grounds are in place.Once had a ranger that was missing a ground from the battery to the body that gave me fits.HTH
Jeff Fitzgerald - retired
Treasure Coast of Florida
"there will be enough time to sleep when we're dead"
wbuxton

Welcome

Post by wbuxton »

Welcome to the forum!
William
Weatherford, TX
817-599-7680
866-744-3887
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 1994 Ford Bronco - ABS Light

Post by ricmorin »

TJsAuto wrote:I am working on a 1994 Ford Bronco 5.8L. The vehicle has an ABS light on with no codes and no communication with any scan tool, all powers and grounds are ok and the ABS control module has been replaced. I have followed all Ford trouble trees and they all lead to a bad ABS control module but that is not the case.

Any ideas would greatly help.
Is this a 4 wheel abs system? Does it have a separate 4wabs connector under the hood that looks similar to the EEC diag connector? If so, only the NGS tool will communicate with the module in my experience. You can get the system to flash out codes by jumping the appropriate terminals on the connector.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
wbuxton

Post by wbuxton »

Good point, I was thinking of RABS, but I don't remember a Bronco with 4 wheel abs. Mitchell diag refers to the black/orange wire to mommetarily ground for flash out.
William
Weatherford, TX
817-599-7680
866-744-3887
wbuxton

Post by wbuxton »

Good point, I was thinking of RABS, but I don't remember a Bronco with 4 wheel abs. Mitchell diag refers to the black/orange wire to mommetarily ground for flash out.
William
Weatherford, TX
817-599-7680
866-744-3887
JBUTITTA
50 Club: Regular Contributor
50 Club: Regular Contributor

Post by JBUTITTA »

HEY TIM. GREAT TO SEE YOU HERE. HAVE YOU TRIED TO MANUALLY RETRIEVE CODES? IF IM NOT MISTAKEN YOU JUMP THE WHITE/LT BLUE WIRE TO THE BLACK WIRE AT THE SELF TEST CONNECTOR WITH KEY OFF. WHEN KEY IS CYCLED ON CODES SHOULD FLASH THROUGH ABS LITE(2 DIGIT CODES I BELIEVE). HOPE TO SEE YOU AT THE NEXT ASA MEETING. IF I CAN HELP ANY OTHER WAY GIVE ME A CALL. JERRY
TJsAuto

Post by TJsAuto »

i cannot flash codes either through the eec connector the amber abs light stays on steady even when connector is jumped. I have checked all grounds and they are ok.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

does e/brake light work? are the fuses good? have you taken on a road test and slammed the brakes to see if abs is working? is the speedo working properly? need more info.
steve
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

TJsAuto wrote:i cannot flash codes either through the eec connector the amber abs light stays on steady even when connector is jumped. I have checked all grounds and they are ok.
If this a 4wabs system, you flash codes through a dedicated abs connector under the hood. Should look similar to the EEC connector and you will find it on the left side. Jump pins 2 and 5 while key off, turn key on and the remove jumper after 5 seconds....count flashes.
603-622-6434 x203

TJsAuto

Post by TJsAuto »

I HAVE TRIED TO FLASH CODES THROUGH THE RED ABS EEC CONNECTOR WITH NO LUCK, PS THE ABS DOES NOT WORK WHEN BRAKES ARE SLAMMED ON (TESTED ON WET ROAD)
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

TJsAuto wrote:I HAVE TRIED TO FLASH CODES THROUGH THE RED ABS EEC CONNECTOR WITH NO LUCK, PS THE ABS DOES NOT WORK WHEN BRAKES ARE SLAMMED ON (TESTED ON WET ROAD)
If you get no flashes on the abs light when jumped, you may have to connect a test light at the abs connector between terminals 4 and 2, then proceed with the flashout procedure.
603-622-6434 x203

steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

Something just clicked in the cavity. If this light has been on for a while, get more info from customer. I always query the customer six ways from Sunday.

Did this come on after a brake job or front end work?. If thats the case you can test the front sensors with an ohmmeter. i've found that corrosion sometimes won't throw a code; it will read a good test. See if the relay behind the glove box is unplugged.

good luck.....................................steve
Rafael

Post by Rafael »

does the light come on after driving or as soon as you start the truck?
TJsAuto

Post by TJsAuto »

the light is on all the time
wbuxton

Post by wbuxton »

TJ, help me out. Is this a 4 wheel anti-lock system, and not RABS?
William
Weatherford, TX
817-599-7680
866-744-3887
TJsAuto

Post by TJsAuto »

YES THIS IS A 4 WHEEL ANTILOCK
DelHann

Post by DelHann »

Try checking front wheel bearings if it has tone ring in the hub. Too much runout can cause this problem. Not sure about the Bronco but we did have this problem with an Explorer. Replaced hub, problem solved.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

are there any other oddities within the dash cluster? with 4w abs there is a rabs valve on the frame and i believe there is a abs relay on the passenger side behind the dash. on the tow trucks we would unplug that relay to stop the brake fade that would cause the truck to coast through intersections.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Return to “Ford Trucks”