2004 Ford E350 SuperDuty - Cruise Control Inop TIP

Specific repair issues for RWD trucks, SUVs & vans
Jeff @ Able Auto
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

2004 Ford E350 SuperDuty - Cruise Control Inop TIP

Post by Jeff @ Able Auto »

Just a heads up. I replaced a cruise control servo after all the tests lead to a failed servo. Roadtest cruise was still inop. Called Ford to inquire on the chances of the servo being bad outta the box. Parts guy recommended I replace the brake pressure switch on the master. Did so and roadtested OK. The switch was clean and dry. The test doesn't include testing the switch unless directed there.

Hope this saves someone else the aggravation. The Ford parts guy did tell me that a lot of his techs have a "test" switch they put in before doing any test, is a fairly common problem.
Jeff Fitzgerald - retired
Treasure Coast of Florida
"there will be enough time to sleep when we're dead"
liljoe

Re: 2004 E350 SUPER DUTY CRUISE CONTROL INOP

Post by liljoe »

Thanks, I have an 04 F250 comming thursday with innop cruise and a fuel leak, maybe this will save me time on diag the cruise. Thanks.
Working hard to prove the Green Team can do it with the best of 'em.
Always remember: AIN'T NO FREE LUNCHES!!
Am I the Only One?- I don't think I am.
The further a society retreats from the truth, the more it hates those who speak it. George Orwell.
Autohaus

Re: 2004 Ford E350 SuperDuty - Cruise Control Inop TIP

Post by Autohaus »

Got an '04 Crown Vic in the shop as we speak with similar issue. The brake deactivation switch on this model is on the brake pedal in the cab. All switch tests are showing normal, got the brake switched bypassed and swapped out servo with a known good unit. Still inop. Noticed a while ago that the owner left us the valet key. Would the valet key render the cruise control inoperative on this unit?????? Really at a loss on this one as the tests we are running all point to the servo being bad.
Poor planning on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on my part!!
Jeff @ Able Auto

Re: 2004 Ford E350 SuperDuty - Cruise Control Inop TIP

Post by Jeff @ Able Auto »

The E-350 had a brake pressure switch on the master cylinder that created the problem. I would look to see if the Crown Vic has a switch on the master. Was told by the guys at Ford that all the techs keep one for the Trucks to install for a quik test. Not sure if this applies to the Vic but would be worth a check.
I just checked the diagrams for a Crown Vic. It has a deactivator switch in left footwell that appers to work the same as the pressure switch on the E-350. Not exactly sure where it is in left foot well but worth a look.
Jeff Fitzgerald - retired
Treasure Coast of Florida
"there will be enough time to sleep when we're dead"

Return to “Ford Trucks”