2005 Lincoln Aviator - Won't Shift Out Of Park FIXED

Specific repair issues for RWD trucks, SUVs & vans
Goose
50 Club: Regular Contributor

2005 Lincoln Aviator - Won't Shift Out Of Park FIXED

Post by Goose »

I have a 2005 Aviator that has a broken shifter. The interlock is working properly. It appears that there should be a light spring that holds the detent pawl up. The shift knnob will then hold it down until such time as the button on the shiter is pushed to allow the lever to move. My problem is that there is no data available as to the parts breakdown on the shifter. Are there repair kits available or does the whole shifter have to be replaced?
fortknoxx
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Re: 2005 Lincoln Aviator - Won't Shift Out Of Park

Post by fortknoxx »

try this.
key in ign, 1 click. (if dash lights go on you went 2 clicks This also energizes the shift lock solenoid). push button on shifter shift in to neutral. start vehicle then you should be able shift into drive.

my thinking is........ the solenoid is not getting the interrupt signal from the brake pedal. I have to do this sometimes when I am towing a vehicle from an accident, this way I can shift into neutral to load it on the flat bed, cuz some vehicles do not have the lil access hole in shifter base to release.
T-N-T (Tina Nuse-Tolar)
Gone but not forgotten...Camper Bob's

609-760-7079 Cell
Goose

Post by Goose »

:roll: I think you misunderstood my problem. The interlock/solenoid is working. The detent acts like a spring is broken or missing. There are no photos or breakdown of the shifter assy do determine the problem. Does anyone have any experience with these? :lol:
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

i tried to look it up and it basically shows a r&r. there was no breakdown. i can call my local ford dealer and possibly get an exploded parts view. years ago you could get just about anything you needed to repair a shift assembly but i'm seeing more and more as module replacement. i work on a fleet of exploders that are uses as security vehicles and have replaced a few shifters because of coffee contamination.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Goose

Post by Goose »

I ordered a shifter yesterday. I will let you know the results. Thanks for the input. 8)
Goose

Post by Goose »

:D O-K. Here are the final results. I purchased a shifter base. When I pulled it out of the box I immediately noticed that the plastic on the top of the tube had a slot that the button that you push to move the lever engages and lifts the mechanism off the detent. On the old shifter that part had broken off and it looked like it was manufacturd that way. Thanks for all your imput!
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

thanks for posting the fix.......
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
wbuxton
1000 Club: Interstellar
1000 Club: Interstellar

Post by wbuxton »

Sounds like the old Ranger floor shifter problem. Rich probably sold a ton of those.
Uncle PETA said I could come back.
William
Weatherford, TX
817-599-7680
866-744-3887
http://www.phoenixtrans.com

Return to “Ford Trucks”