2006 Ford F350 - 6.0L No Charging

Specific repair issues for RWD trucks, SUVs & vans
lewisautorepair

2006 Ford F350 - 6.0L No Charging

Post by lewisautorepair »

HEY GUYS ITS BEEN A WHILE BUT IM BACK, IVE GOT AN 06 F350 SUPER DUTY WITH A 6.0 WITH SINGLE ALTERNATOR AND DUAL BATTERY SET UP. WE HAVE REPLACED THE ALTERNATOR TWICE. THE BATTERYS HAVE BEEN REPALCED AS WELL AS A THOROUGH CLEANING OF THE CABLE ENDS. WHEN IT IS STARTED THE BATTERY LIGHT GOES OUT IMMEDIATELY AND THE CHARGING LEVEL STAYS AT ABOUT 12 TO 12.20 VOLTS FOR ABOUT 30 SECONDS THEN IT BOUNCES UP TO ABOUT 13.0 VOLTS EVENTUALLY THE BATTERY LIGHT WILL COME ON AGAIN AND IT WONT CHARGE MORE THAN ABOUT 10 TO 12 VOLTS. WHATS NEXT? IM GOING IN CIRCLES. THANKS
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Re: 2006 Ford F350 - 6.0L No Charging

Post by Tim Martin »

On those alternators I have seen some rust and or corrosion on the small wires wiring harness. I usually replace the wiring harness when I replace an alternator. The other issue I have seen is melted fusible links in the circuitry between battery and alternator. You'll want to check them. hoh.
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 2006 Ford F350 - 6.0L No Charging

Post by steven kiser »

i've had more than my fair share of charging issue with these. a while ago i started installing o.e.m. alternators and most of the issues were resolved. on some applications, not sure if this is one but you will see a slight jumping in the alternator gauge after initial start because of the amp load of the glow plug or heater. another issue i seem to see on these is the alternator doesn't seem to charge right away. it may take 5 seconds to see any increase on the gauge.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Return to “Ford Trucks”