2003 Ford F350 - 6.0L Diesel Dies And Won't Restart; Fuel?

Specific repair issues for RWD trucks, SUVs & vans
fortknoxx
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Re: 2003 Ford F350 - 6.0L Diesel Dies And Won't Restart; Fuel?

Post by fortknoxx »

brianp87 wrote:Pulling an engine out of an ambulance now for head gaskets yay 6.0L's . :twisted:
liljoe wrote:
steven kiser wrote:am i missing something here. we're talking about a 04 F350 and the fender say's it's an E450 manufactured as a cut away. the only reason i'm asking is because all of my labor charge information is approx 3-4 hours less. if i'm missing something i've been screwing myself. :shock:
The thread started as question on a f350 and got sidetracked to some E350/450 talk.........
Steve, Steve, Steve. We are yet a victim of Brian hyjaquing another thread.
T-N-T (Tina Nuse-Tolar)
Gone but not forgotten...Camper Bob's

609-760-7079 Cell
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

sorry I do it all the time
Ruger77
50 Club: Regular Contributor

Post by Ruger77 »

Ok, back to the 6.0 that I was talking about. Thursday, Ford Powertrain finally authorized replacement of # 5 (#5 is the one with the bad copper washer)& # 7 injector, and resealing #1 & #3 injectors. Parts showed up Friday. When I got to #7, and was cleaning out the injector sleeve, I noticed 2 tiny cracks in the injector sleeve, in the head, where the injector copper washer sits. Thank goodness for the boroscope. This isn't even the cylinder that had the bad washer, I was just basically replacing this one as preventive. So, does anyone have tricks to replacing these injector sleeves, in the truck? I have some room because evaporator and part of the plastic housing are removed. I have done several of these injectors, but never the sleeves. Do I have to have the Ford tools to get it out and reinstall, and if so, where are they available? If that's not an option, I guess the head has to come off? I had heard that these sleeves seize in, but this one only has 3500 miles on it, so maybe I'll get lucky?
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Post by Tim Martin »

Yes to my knowledge you must have the right tools to do the job. And so far as I know the only ones available at the present time are from Rotunda Tool which is the tool and Eq. supplier for Ford. It can be done in the truck if there is room. With the evaporator removed, you shouldn't have a problem.
swood

Post by swood »

We make a pretty good buck working on E-350 ambulances. We have changed over 30 injectors 5 or 6 egrs and oil coolers you name it these things are broken all the time. If your going to do much with these 6.0L better invest in a Ford IDS there worth every cent.
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

i just had a customer drop when i told him how much it was going to cost to replace the bad injectors in his delivery van. he told me that the price to repair it was more than he paid at the auction. i asked how many of these vans were there. he said at least a hundred. i said " seeing that many didn't make you ask why?" he took the van back and said that he googled it and read that a cleaner would work. this guy is so cheap he'll probably try peeing in the tank because somewhere he read something about it. he's got 4 bad injectors and when you shut it off you can hear back pressure releasing. i asked how long he's been using the van this way and he said about 8 months. told him to figure on cat's as well. right away he wanted me to cut the cat's out to see if the power would come back. i refused, he got upset. i know that he had his handy man cut it off because i saw him across the street at car quest purchasing a straight piece of pipe, clamps, and adapters. he asked me if i would bend and expand a pipe for him. i just laughed.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Ah yes, steve. Ya gotta love those kind a fellows. Makes one appreciate good customers. We got em too here in central PA.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

i'm feeling that with the injector issue being so common we're going to see more and more "mechanics" working on them instead of balancing tires. eventually they'll be towed into our shops with two or three boxes of parts in the back. i had one where the shop fired it up forgetting they had removed the engine mounts. talk about collateral damage. the person that owned the van wanted me to bill the other shop for damaging his van. i told him he had a few choices here and one wasn't me billing or accepting payment from the other shop.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Yea, I am slowly getting the feeling that soon there will be wannabee techs, then there will be techs, then there will be US! Those that do what the others can't do cause we pay for our training and are serious about what we do.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

amen to that. anyone who has the dvd set of shade tree mechanic is a qualified tech...............
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Wow! Yer kinda bright eyed and bushytailed this morning steve.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

wait till i get going. my daughter complained of no heat for he past few day's. i took it to work today and 1/2 way here the temp gauge pegged. :evil:
Ruger77

Post by Ruger77 »

By the way, I ordered the tools next day air from Ford for the injector sleeve, and it is done and gone. After we removed, the old one, you could clearly tell that it had not been seated all the way when installed originally by the Ford Reman peoples. The sleeves are very easy with the right tools, and the tools were not that expensive. And just as a side note, Ford Powertrain has been way more difficult to work with then Jasper ever has been on warranty work. I will definitely question ever selling another Ford reman product. Just my 2 cents.

Scott
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

I feel in thsi situation they should have sent another complete engine. As a consumer i would now question the whole thing. Not your work but fords. I would advise the consumer to contact ford and ask for the warranty to be extended.
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

brianp87 wrote:I feel in thsi situation they should have sent another complete engine. As a consumer i would now question the whole thing. Not your work but fords. I would advise the consumer to contact ford and ask for the warranty to be extended.
Trust me, that doesn't happen with Ford. I tried that already cause I was in a similar situation. And yes, warranty with a Ford reman is difficult to work with. Remind me again why I sell no rebuilt except jasper.

Return to “Ford Trucks”