2001 Ford Windstar - 3.8L Jerking Problem FIXED

Specific repair issues for RWD trucks, SUVs & vans
autoxperts
50 Club: Regular Contributor

2001 Ford Windstar - 3.8L Jerking Problem FIXED

Post by autoxperts »

Car came in jerking and popping.

Changed plugs and wires only code was 301. Car has 145,000 miles on it and had never been tuned up; changed fuel filter, cleaned injectors. maf sensor is good. It ran better yesterday. Then today it is back to running the same way, it's not all the time. it's not throwing any codes now.
brother bubba
300 Club: Superstar Contributor

Re: 2001 Ford Windstar - 3.8L Jerking Problem

Post by brother bubba »

I keep a known good coil pack around (painted red, test purposes only). That would be my next step

Measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a piece of chalk, cut it with an axe. Sand it to fit.
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Post by Tim Martin »

Ahhhhhh. Aren't those the ones with the plastic intake manifolds that have them little orings that leaked so bad? While it may be a coil issue it is also worth the effort to check the air induction system including the MAF sensor. These engines, while they perform well do have some inherent problems.
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

If i recall correctly these have the EGR runners in the intake that will cause a skip at idle if they get plugged with something. The skip will lessen at higher rpm's and can be misleading. It can come and go. I agree with the intake and use carb cleaner to check for vac leaks and keep an extinguisher handy. I've seen the EGR port plugged more than a few times.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
autoxperts

Post by autoxperts »

egr ports are good and intake is not leak n. i put a used coil pack on still the same , not for sure is good ive had it for about five yrs. with the scanner iam not getting any misfires will driving
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

autoxperts wrote:egr ports are good and intake is not leak n.
Have you physically checked this? I know, it sounds like I am a know it all but unless something like 2+2 Gumcutter or ether is sprayed at the base of the intake plenum and rpms are actually checked at the same time it is not safe to simply assume that the intake is not leaking. I have had several of these that really took me for a long round until I was at the end of options and I replaced the plenum seals and the engine really straightened out. However, having said what I did, there could be an oxygen sensor biased rich and the PCM is leaning the fuel injectors. I have also seen that. It could also be an injector issue. Beings it is an 01 model, I would use mode six to assist in diagnosis.
rytek

Post by rytek »

Yes, I agree that coils are common. Could be an injector like Tim said.

Is it idling rough, running rough at cruising speed, or ?

You didn't use the el cheapo Bosch platinum plugs, did you? We have seen those plugs cause misfires when brand new. What brand plugs and wires?

What did the freeze frame say for the original P0301? When the code was set, was the engine cold, warm, or hot? I have seen many intake gaskets leak and set a code only at certain temps.

Does your scan tool show cylinder misfire counters? Perhaps you can use the Mode 6 data to interpret which cylinders are starting to misfire.

Get out the vacuum gauge and check for a sticking valve or other anomaly.
Chris
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Ya know, you bring up an interesting point about spark plugs. Yes, on these newer vehicles, it often does not work to use lower priced plugs. Also, be aware that just because they are new does not mean they are good. Most of us have seen new ones right out of the box be defective. Having said that, that Windstar would be getting Motorcraft plugs. I realize I am stepping out to mention that but that's how we do it here.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

If compression is good it still sounds like the egr issue. I've seen push rods that are slightly bent shortening the stroke along with push rods.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
jbadenoch
400 Club: Mega-Star Contributor
400 Club: Mega-Star Contributor

Post by jbadenoch »

my vote is ign coil or module
autoxperts

Post by autoxperts »

it was a coil pack problem fix.thanks for all the help
brother bubba

Post by brother bubba »

autoxperts wrote:it was a coil pack problem fix.thanks for all the help

Glad we could be of assistance.

<Head growing two hat sizes>

Measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a piece of chalk, cut it with an axe. Sand it to fit.
rytek

Re: 2001 Ford Windstar - 3.8L Jerking Problem FIXED

Post by rytek »

You're welcome. So, I'll take a pepperoni-sausage-hot pepper pizza with a dozen hot wings. How about the rest of you guys? :)
Chris

Return to “Ford Trucks”