2004 DODGE RAM 1500 5.7 STALLING

Specific repair issues for Dodge RWD trucks, vans + Jeep products
LMORRIS249
25 Club: Starting Contributor

2004 DODGE RAM 1500 5.7 STALLING

Post by LMORRIS249 »

Engine stalls but will restart immediately. Has strong fire and good fuel pressure. There are no DTCs. Will run a short time (no more than a minute) before stalling again. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Re: 2004 DODGE RAM 1500 5.7 STALLING

Post by Tim Martin »

Several things come to my mind. First is the electronic throttle body. I have seen these malfunction and not set a code. Next is the camshaft and crankshaft sensors which I would use my lab scope on and set it so they both are on the screen at the same time. Also, the transmissions on these trucks are very sensitive to fluid level and fluid condition. What can happen is it will seem like the torque converter is not working properly and stall the engine. I would also check for a PCM update.

I am sure more of the fellows will stop in by morning and pitch in their suggestions also.
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

A common issue with these is the plate gasket on the bottom of the intake blows out causing an internal vacuum leak. Take the oil fill cap off and place your hand over the opening and if you feel an abnormal about of suction then the intake needs to come off and gasket replaced. It's been a while and I'm starting to remember an intake issue where the front and rear coolant ports are pretty corroded so I would clean them real well, put a coat of J B weld on the pitted area,let it dry then grind it snooth and level with the rest of the intake. Worked like a champ.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Well Steve, I thought of that possibility also but I am thinking that by 2004 the design of the intake manifold had changed. I may be wrong though. Parts lookup would verify if there is a gasket for that. Speaking of which, the newer design of rubber molded gaskets, they also had a problem of leaking although I dont know if it would cause a stalling issue or not. Monitoring fuel trim values, especially short term, when the engine is running would give you a clue whether or not an internal vacuum leak is at fault.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

I agree It's been a while and I really cant be 100% positive. I'm going to dig out my black book of repairs and take a look.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Jeff @ Able Auto
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Post by Jeff @ Able Auto »

Steve you are thinking of the 5.2/5.9 V8. Can't recalll ever having that proplem on the 3.9 V6.
At first I thought security lock out but they generally only run for a few seconds in that case. As a rule a electronic throttle will cause low power and limited RPM, I personally have never had a stalling. I would check manifold vacuum against MAP readings. When I worked for Chrysler we saw a lot of MAP problems. If possible get a data graph of cam and crank sensors. Also an ASD relay that isn't holding in could cause this.
When this truck stalls does it just cut off or is it more like running out of gas?
Jeff Fitzgerald - retired
Treasure Coast of Florida
"there will be enough time to sleep when we're dead"
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

The ASD relay is a good point, had a few of those. EGR would be another issue but since it appears it's only us talking about this and we're not getting anymore input I'm out of it.

Return to “Dodge Trucks / Jeep”