2004 Dodge 2500 - 5.7L Hemi PS Noise @ Rest

Specific repair issues for Dodge RWD trucks, vans + Jeep products
gator automotive

2004 Dodge 2500 - 5.7L Hemi PS Noise @ Rest

Post by gator automotive »

Put in a new 5.7 motor; new power steering pump, pressure hose, cooler.

At rest position, the power steering makes a noise that travels up the columm. Turn the wheel just a short hair and noise is gone.

What is it??
fortknoxx
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Re: 2004 dodge 2500 5.7 hemi p.s. noise at rest

Post by fortknoxx »

new belt tensioner with new engine or did you reuse old one?
T-N-T (Tina Nuse-Tolar)
Gone but not forgotten...Camper Bob's

609-760-7079 Cell
gator automotive

Re: 2004 Dodge 2500 - 5.7L Hemi PS Noise @ Rest

used the old tensioner that came off the old motor. replaced everything else though....pump...lines...cooler. sounds like a hissing that travels up the column....it goes away the min you just think about turning the wheel.
thanks
john
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Post by Tim Martin »

Are you using the correct fluid? It calls for AF+4. I know from past experience if the correct fluid is not used strange things happen. I suppose the lines are hooked up correctly? Sometimes they can be interchangeable.

hth
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

sounds like the pump. I'd yank it and install another. i almost thing you may be able to swap the relief valve with the one in the original pump and the problem may be resolved. however if the bore in the pump isn't perfect then you may be wasting your time. it may be a fluid issue but it sounds like the pump is straining with no place to go until you move the wheel and box accepts the pressure. pump isn't loose is it? i've seen bolts finger tight and pump will vibrate in mount. done this myself :oops:
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
gator automotive

checked the lines, hooked up correct. cant cross different fittings. put on 2 pumps noise still there....drained fluid...no difference....never seen this before. lol....a first for my shop. short of changing the steering box, dont know why the noise is there.
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Now, here is where I go back to the basics an start all over. I'm missing something. Here is a rather ignorant question.

What was the reason that the engine and power steering pump was replaced? Was this noise/condition existing prior to all this?
gator automotive

replaced the motor due to head gasket leaking and blown and motor was knocking. replaced pump due to unknown noise. thought that might be it.
gator automotive

update to my problem....flushed and changed fluid to af+4 no difference....when at rest sound like a fluid restriction noise coming up thru the coloum.....everything is new and still there...lol...any more ideas?
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

gator automotive wrote:replaced the motor due to head gasket leaking and blown and motor was knocking. replaced pump due to unknown noise. thought that might be it.
Ok. Thanx for the info. So we had 2 problems initially.

Now then, I at this point would be checking all the mounting hardware closely on all involved components (steering box, steering shaft and column). If that is good, I'd next be checking the pump pressure. If nothing else so that I know what it is, even though the pump obviously is not at fault. Without diagnosing this problem myself, I'd be suspicious of a gearbox issue.

Does this truck perchance have a hydro boost for the brakes? If it does, that is another potential area to diagnose.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

ok, now that the two issue card has been tossed out if someone has been trying to adjust box your problem could be there. if the box is out of center or to tight it will cause an issue like this.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Return to “Dodge Trucks / Jeep”