2006 Dodge RAM 2500 - 5.9L Dsl Check Eng Light FIXED

Specific repair issues for Dodge RWD trucks, vans + Jeep products
nickscarcare
750 Club: World Class Contributor

2006 Dodge RAM 2500 - 5.9L Dsl Check Eng Light FIXED

Post by nickscarcare »

I have a customer who brought me this truck, with check eng light on and was wondering if I would work on it.

Not having worked on alot of diesels, I said I would check. Codes are P2609, P2509, P2503, P2146, P2149. He did have some battery issues and replaced both batteries himself, which may be why a couple of those codes are in there from the reasearch I have done. The main codes worried about are the P2146, and P2149 which are injector codes. Is there and easy way of testing them, or just follow the mitchell steps?

Any help is appreciated as normal. They may be a new customer, but problem is they have a fleet of diesels! I am always willing to learn, don't like turning away jobs if at all possible. I have to get back to him asap if I want to work on it, or just let it go.
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

507-345-6425
http://www.nickscarcare.com
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Re: 2006 Dodge RAM 2500 - 5.9L Dsl Check Eng Light

Post by Tim Martin »

It is not uncommon on these newer diesel engines to see some electrical issues involving the computer controlled aspects of the engine if the batteries fail or are changed or the alternator malfunctions. Each DTC will need to be checked out on the basis of its own merit. At times however after erasing the DTC's and resetting the PCM, it is ok, but not in every case.

And, yes, if you are willing to enter the diesel arena, there is alot a money to be made but mistakes can be costly. We do alot of it here and we enjoy it albeit stressful to relate to the owner who doesn't want to spend the money to do the job right the first time.
nickscarcare

Post by nickscarcare »

I have worked for different shops over the last 15+years, and everyone of them sent diesels out the door, even one company who had 4 of them in their own fleet. Now that I am on my own I would like to learn more about working on them. I do have a couple of customers who have them. Or do I just stay away from them?
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

507-345-6425
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

I dont have alot of knowledge on them yet we work on them all the time. It usually eats away at soem time but it is worth it.
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

In my opinion a shop, unless they absolutely have no room or do not need the work, is a fool for not entering the diesel market. It is what is helping us keep going in these unstable economic times. We enjoy the work. It is not the negative, dirty image that many shops represent it to be.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

People(me) are scared of the unknown. If you can get past that and the stigma you will be fine. Do a few 6.0L egr coolers and make some money
mopwrforme
200 Club: Major Contributor
200 Club: Major Contributor

Post by mopwrforme »

after doing some research i found both the p2609 as well as the p2509 both have flashes avalible for those concearns tsb#18-037-08 is for the p2609 and tsb#18-001-07 will cover the p2509 chysler has more flashes than carter has liver pills. as for the p2146 and 2149 there is an on line case for those codes filed with cummins case#k30540141 it has the tech one at a time disconnect both wires from each injector insulate the wire end as to protect it from a short to grd. on the efected bank {p2146 will be injectors 1-3} and {p2149 will be 4-6} clear the codes and start the engine, ck. if the same code resets. if an injector is disconnected and the code does not reset. replace the injector. keep in mind this from the chrysler tech line. in real world ive had to replace a lot of the v/c gskts due to wireing issues to the injectors that are part of the v/c gskt assembly also ck. and make sure the grd. wire to the drivers side battery is on good and tight with no corrotion im looking at the smaller grd wire this is the main grd. for the cummins pcm it will give you the pwr data lose as well as intake heater performance. i would recomend you get some training on the new dsl. systems that are out they can be a handfull to say the least. but of course there is good money to be made. good luck keep in mind if no one will work on them in your neck of the woods that makes you a very popular shop cooool. 8) 8) 8)
perfection-automotive.net
nickscarcare

Post by nickscarcare »

Alright well I guess we call this one fixed for now. Talked to the customer and he has not had any issues with it since, he said I will be the first to know when he does. LOL Was looking forward to working on it, and broadening my knowledge. Instead they bring me down a 4 cyl diesel forklift and said check it out and make it useable! Thanks for the help, wish I could have posted that I fixed it.

507-345-6425
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 2006 Dodge RAM 2500 - 5.9L Dsl Check Eng Light FIXED

Post by steven kiser »

i love when i get to work on equipment as opposed to the normal run of the mill vehicles. when someone calls and asks if i will work on a bob cat, compressor, etc i tell them to bring it down. i have a customer that is in the floor refinishing business and he stumbled upon my shop because no one would work on his equipment. i love it and now i work on his 5 npr's as well. i work on guard rail equipment, dandy diggers, farm tractors, etc. i pipe hydraulics and wire sanders, repair plows and frames on g.m's. now that i've flapped my gums on this i'll get over loaded with them and have to erase them from my fun things and add them to the ones i feel ho hum about. the past month i've been repairing sanders and plows on a regular basis. i always test the sanders on my lot when i'm done. the shops that will work on snow equipment is getting smaller and smaller. i'm stocking controls, modules, fittings, etc and make a good buck on them. over the years i've developed a big pile of parts and a local equipment company sends people my way with older plow equipment. i have a ford in the shop now because his regular shop couldn't repair the fuel leak, or didn't want to. a filter housing and oil injector pump, the first because the first shop though it was the leak and repaired it. along with two batteries (some one installed 24 series batteries instead of the 65 it calls for) it's costing just shy of three grand. customer isn't happy about the price but is thrilled that he's finally found a shop that will jump into any work he needs for his vehicles and equipment. don't know where this came from but i'll chalk it up as steve being steve. some times i run on and on while others i just babble....... :lol:
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Return to “Dodge Trucks / Jeep”