2004 Dodge Ram - 4.7L Eng Swap Brain Teaser

Specific repair issues for Dodge RWD trucks, vans + Jeep products
wiley
25 Club: Starting Contributor

2004 Dodge Ram - 4.7L Eng Swap Brain Teaser

Post by wiley »

Ok guys have a 2004 Ram 1500 with what is left of a 4.7 v-8 and cant seem to find a replacement around that year model (USED.....) what will it take to replace it with a 2008 4.7 out of a Ram 1500 any IDEAS??????????

THANKS FOR ANY INPUT.
Think Positive!!!
What can go wrong will.
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 2004 4.7 engine swap brain teaser

Post by steven kiser »

not specifically on this application but what i do is call my #1 salvage yard and have them look it up. at least my supplier uses a program that will tell what the difference is. it may be a complete strip down to block or just an oil pan swap. there may be an extra sensor in the newer engine that can be just left there as a plug. it may not work at all. years ago in a galaxy far, far, away i wouldn't worry. in today's market with cam angles, valve lift, etc i would never assume. i've run into issues with production date changes. heck in one application (production change) the toner ring on the crank was different. that was a real head banger. being in this business as long as i have i'm surprised my forehead isn't more flat than it is. i am loosing my hair if that counts. :lol:
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
mopwrforme
200 Club: Major Contributor
200 Club: Major Contributor

Re: 2004 4.7 engine swap brain teaser

Post by mopwrforme »

the differance if im not mistaken is in the cam tone ring 1 is jtec tone wheel then they went to the all in 1 controller a ngc which has a differant cam tone ring there might also be a change in the crank tone ring i wouldnt use anything but what came out of it lkq has a listing on that engine they will ship nation wide 1800-382-9792. ext. 3515 thats tinas ext. she will take care of it for you
perfection-automotive.net

Return to “Dodge Trucks / Jeep”