Server Question

Manager SE specific technical issues
sbebenelli
750 Club: World Class Contributor

Server Question

Post by sbebenelli »

We are a single user. I would like to add one more computer. I know nothing about networking 2 computers together.

I know I need a sever. Does a server take the place of one of the computers or do I have 2 computers and the server?

Is it cat5 wire that is ran between the computers?

I know these are really stupid questions. I'm just trying to understand what I would need to do if I go that route.
mastertechauto
25 Club: Starting Contributor

Re: Server Question

Post by mastertechauto »

Your server will likely be your main computer that currently hosts the manager program. Networking is fairly easy. We used cat6 cable but cat5 is fine. You may be able to network them using wifi but since we are hard-wired, I can't speak for how well that works. Hope this helps.
Mark Spezia
Mastertech Auto Service
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by ricmorin »

sbebenelli wrote:We are a single user. I would like to add one more computer. I know nothing about networking 2 computers together.

I know I need a sever. Does a server take the place of one of the computers or do I have 2 computers and the server?

Is it cat5 wire that is ran between the computers?

I know these are really stupid questions. I'm just trying to understand what I would need to do if I go that route.
You don't need a dedicated server. All you need is 2 computers to create a 'network'.

The next thing you'll need is a switch. A simple un-managed switch will do fine. The switch simply directs traffic between computers. It won't have much to do with only 2, but if you get an 8 port switch, you'll have room to grow. Check your computer's network speed. If you have gigabit network cards in your computers or are upgrading soon, you'll want a gigabit switch to take advantage. Most newer computers have gigabit. I prefer hardwired network as there are fewer problems with interference and it's faster.

As for cabling, if locations permit, just buy Ethernet cables with ends on them already. Simply plug one end into the computer and the other into the switch. Cat6 is the standard for gigabit networks. I have a central location for my switch so I've wired my entire building myself and had to make my own cables. With some planning on your part you won't have that issue.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
Silky7
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by Silky7 »

One of the first questions is what are planning on doing with the second computer? For example, if it's going to primarily be used in the garage to lookup repair information, you might want to go with a laptop on a wireless connection. If it's going to be an office terminal to write invoices, it's best to stay hard-wired if possible. Either way, you'll need a router or switch to connect the computers to. You need not worry about a true "server" machine if you have just two computers. You can simply run a workgrounp, and generally speaking, Windows computers network together very easily.

Also, speaking from a software license perspective, you may need to get an additional license. A ProDemand subscription includes 3 users, but Manager is only one.
Last edited by Silky7 on Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M1 Product Manager
localheroes

Post by localheroes »

We use wireless for everything but the main server/computer that hosts Mitchell. It works just fine for Mitchell, and all of our other connections. 6 users at one shop on wirleess and 4 at our other shop. Make sure your router has wireless capability. for computers with no wireless, buy a USB N device, (about 10-20 dollars on amazon, eBay etc.) plug it into spare USB port and presto, you now have wireless. We have some computers 200 ft. away and they work fine. Use a secure WPA/PSK or WEP password also on your network.
sbebenelli

Post by sbebenelli »

What I have is a desk top in the office that is wired to the router. I have a laptop in the shop that is connected via WiFi. If I buy the additional license do I have everything I need to have a wireless network?

Can I connect the wired desktop to the laptop that is connected to the router via WiFi? Will I need more hardware to make this happen?
liljoe
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Post by liljoe »

That will work just fine, that is the same set up I use. Just set the PC up as the server and a client then the laptop as a client and you are all set. If you can print at the PC from the laptop then you already have them on a network together.
Working hard to prove the Green Team can do it with the best of 'em.
Always remember: AIN'T NO FREE LUNCHES!!
Am I the Only One?- I don't think I am.
The further a society retreats from the truth, the more it hates those who speak it. George Orwell.
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Agreed. You have everything you need right now.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
sbebenelli

Post by sbebenelli »

Thank you for all the info. If I had known it would be so easy I probably would've done this a long time ago.

I have requested another user license and when that becomes active hopefully everything goes smoothly.
sbebenelli

Post by sbebenelli »

Got everything working. It was a battle. I moved my database to a new computer and it didn't want to update correctly and the workstation would not update to the correct version to work with the host. It took tech awhile to get it worked out but they never gave up and everything works fine now.

Return to “Technical Issues”