FAXing from History and Revisions

Manager SE specific technical issues
pfainc
50 Club: Regular Contributor

FAXing from History and Revisions

Post by pfainc »

I found this was recognized in 2012 and I tried to reply to that post, but the topic was closed.

When I try to fax an invoice from history or an estimate from a revision, since upgrading to 6.4 (and now 6.5) , the system follows the print setup of an invoice and prints to my invoice printer rather than the fax printer.

We use a pdf generator as our fax printer so we can email paid invoices, or multiple revisions in one email.

This is a feature I used frequently in 5.9.

Is there is a schedule for the resolution of this problem?
Bruce Ordway
Phil's Foreign Auto
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Re: FAXing from History and Revisions

Post by timbre4 »

I cannot provide a date at this time. Development works through a prioritized list of issues to create solutions to be delivered on future updates. Because we have the shorter time frames with the Updater, once coded and tested it will make it to the field sooner than it would have previously, just can't say it's been worked slotted for a release yet.
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
pfainc

Post by pfainc »

timbre4 wrote:I cannot provide a date at this time. Development works through a prioritized list of issues to create solutions to be delivered on future updates. Because we have the shorter time frames with the Updater, once coded and tested it will make it to the field sooner than it would have previously, just can't say it's been worked slotted for a release yet.
Hoping this print driver misdirection can be corrected soon. It's a basic functionality operation that I rely (ied) upon. The workaround is time consuming.

Thank You
Bruce Ordway
Phil's Foreign Auto
Rob@SD-AR

Post by Rob@SD-AR »

I'm using 6.5.37 and the fax button works correctly and corresponds to what I have selected in the >>File>>Print Setup under the Fax option.

If you have ProPack you can do all everything you want in there too,
pfainc

Post by pfainc »

Rob@SD-AR wrote:I'm using 6.5.37 and the fax button works correctly and corresponds to what I have selected in the >>File>>Print Setup under the Fax option.

By clicking file>>print from the history screen, the entire history record is queued to the 'print to screen' option, and printing from there uses the windows system dialog and this always works correctly. To fax a specific single record, and clicking the FAX button on the screen does NOT print to the specified printer selected in Print Setup, it instead prints to the printer assigned to the Invoice printer.

A workaround is to set it to 'default print to screen' which then uses the system dialogue, but takes 3 more clicks to complete the print job.
Bruce Ordway
Phil's Foreign Auto
pfainc

Re: FAXing from History and Revisions not working

Post by pfainc »

This bug has apparently been around in 6.4-6.5 for some time now. I am hoping that this fax button problem can finally be put to rest. When I try to FAX a revision, it prints to the invoice printer assignment, when I try to FAX a single history record, it.. you guessed it, it prints to the invoice printer assignment, I don't use print to screen. That adds even more clicking to a simple task.

Propak may be a solution, but since that is a subscription based product, it's a no-go. I don't need any of the other propak features, I would be solely using it to resolve this pesky bug.

Can't the engineers fix the glaring problems before adding more features?

Is there any update on this well documented bug?

Thank You

Bruce
pfainc wrote:
Rob@SD-AR wrote:I'm using 6.5.37 and the fax button works correctly and corresponds to what I have selected in the >>File>>Print Setup under the Fax option.

By clicking file>>print from the history screen, the entire history record is queued to the 'print to screen' option, and printing from there uses the windows system dialog and this always works correctly. To fax a specific single record, and clicking the FAX button on the screen does NOT print to the specified printer selected in Print Setup, it instead prints to the printer assigned to the Invoice printer.

A workaround is to set it to 'default print to screen' which then uses the system dialogue, but takes 3 more clicks to complete the print job.
Bruce Ordway
Phil's Foreign Auto
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by ricmorin »

I see in your first post that you are using the Fax button to email through PDF. So essentially you are emailing, yes? Why not just use the email function? It's much more direct, and you seem to like the direct approach.

I can see where they may not make this a priority. With all due respect, faxing is ancient technology. None of my windows8 computers even have a modem! Most everyone is using email by now. I wouldn't be surprised if they plan on removing that button altogether.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
Johnny5
500 Club: Champion Contributor

Post by Johnny5 »

ricmorin wrote:I see in your first post that you are using the Fax button to email through PDF. So essentially you are emailing, yes? ... I wouldn't be surprised if they plan on removing that button altogether.
We use a pdf generator as our fax printer so we can email paid invoices, or multiple revisions in one email.
Here is the skinny on the Fax button in the history view screen for an invoice: Fax printers are quickly going the way of 8 tracks, CDRoms, and corded telephones. Modems are almost impossible to find anymore, engineers able to test a modem are even more scarce. Look for a future change of that button to simply read Email. In the meantime, faxing to PDF writer to email an invoice? WAY TOO MANY STEPS.

Open an invoice from the history screen, click on the File menu at the top left, click on Email. If the customer already has an email in the system, you're done. If the customer doesn't have an email, the system will prompt you for it, send the email, and record the email address for subsequent use.

JD
John Dwulet AKA: Johnny5
Retired - Mitchell1
pfainc

Post by pfainc »

Johnny5 wrote:
ricmorin wrote:I see in your first post that you are using the Fax button to email through PDF. So essentially you are emailing, yes? ... I wouldn't be surprised if they plan on removing that button altogether.
Here is the skinny on the Fax button in the history view screen for an invoice: Fax printers are quickly going the way of 8 tracks, CDRoms, and corded telephones. Modems are almost impossible to find anymore, engineers able to test a modem are even more scarce. Look for a future change of that button to simply read Email. In the meantime, faxing to PDF writer to email an invoice? WAY TOO MANY STEPS.

Open an invoice from the history screen, click on the File menu at the top left, click on Email. If the customer already has an email in the system, you're done. If the customer doesn't have an email, the system will prompt you for it, send the email, and record the email address for subsequent use.

JD
Thank you John, however this doesn't quite resolve the issue I am having.

I agree that fax modems are going the way of the dinosaur, but I use a PDF converter for the fax printer driver. There is no other way to email a specific history record. Selecting file, email, will email the entire history, not the specific record.. I have been doing this for years with Manager 4.xx, and 5.xx without issue. I also have situations where I have multiple revisions that need to be sent via email. I used to convert them to individual PDFs and send ONE email with multiple attachments. This is far less confusing for customers.

On a side note.. the FAX button on the order screen works as intended. The misbehavior only happens in the revision and history tabs.

Since there is a provision in Manager SE to convert printouts to PDF file, maybe it's possible to change the FAX button to a PDF button?

Thank you
Bruce Ordway
Phil's Foreign Auto
Johnny5

Post by Johnny5 »

pfainc wrote: There is no other way to email a specific history record. Selecting file, email, will email the entire history, not the specific record.. I have been doing this for years with Manager 4.xx, and 5.xx without issue.
Go to the history screen, double click on a posted invoice, then click on file , email - what happens?

JD
Retired - Mitchell1
pfainc

Post by pfainc »

Johnny5 wrote:
pfainc wrote: There is no other way to email a specific history record. Selecting file, email, will email the entire history, not the specific record.. I have been doing this for years with Manager 4.xx, and 5.xx without issue.
Go to the history screen, double click on a posted invoice, then click on file , email - what happens?

JD

Ok, you got me there, that works. I am not used to the file menu working when a sub/secondary window is open.

So does that mean the printer routing bug in revisions and history is not on the books to be resolved?
Bruce Ordway
Phil's Foreign Auto
Johnny5

Post by Johnny5 »

pfainc wrote:
Johnny5 wrote:

JD

Ok, you got me there, that works. I am not used to the file menu working when a sub/secondary window is open.

So does that mean the printer routing bug in revisions and history is not on the books to be resolved?
The print button in the 'History Screen' sends the print job to the default printer - as I believe it should. The Fax button inside the 'History Detail' screen will be replaced with an email button. The fax button in the revision screen is on the books to fix, it's priority is still being managed.
Retired - Mitchell1
pfainc

Post by pfainc »

Fax button still not working - when will this be resolved/updated to email? BTW I actually still have several customers that request FAX over e-mail.... apparently they don't want to risk getting spammed?? Currently running Version 6.6.1, been broken now for at least 5 updates.
Bruce Ordway
Phil's Foreign Auto
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

I've just been updated that the Email from History story is being worked on during this current sprint.
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
Johnny5

Post by Johnny5 »

This is being worked on right now. It may be included in the version that included the new scheduler and plate-to-vin. The option of a FAX button is off the table in favor of emailing.
emailhist.jpg
emailhist.jpg (313.64 KiB) Viewed 5320 times
Retired - Mitchell1

Return to “Technical Issues”