Changing Category on Schedule Work Causes Crash

Manager SE specific technical issues
fullerd

Changing Category on Schedule Work Causes Crash

Post by fullerd »

Hello all!
While editing the "category" dropdown in the "Schedule Work" pop-up box on a schedule entry, intermittently the error message , "Error: An unknown error of type System.Runtime.InteropServices.SEHException has occurred. External component has thrown an exception. Click OK to exit the application." appears and TeamWorks closes. This seems to happen in clusters and mostly on one terminal (although it has happened on the others also). This is starting to frustrate my service writer. Has anyone else ran into this? Any help would be greatly appreciated by my service writer!

Thanks,

Dan F
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: Changing Category on Schedule Work Causes Crash

Post by ricmorin »

A problem like that is beyond the scope of this forum. I'd suggest contacting support.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
BERGMANS1
50 Club: Regular Contributor

Post by BERGMANS1 »

I have had the same issue, once a day normally. If/when you find a fix please post it here.
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

I have confirmed this issue. I got the same error after several category changes.
603-622-6434 x203

timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

I've done this a dozen times here with 6.6.10 using appointments (where a Category was selected then) and existing EST/RO documents (where <all> was changed to explicit Category options) and no glitch seen. Need more specifics to replicate this; but also, if this is now an actual order with SPECIFIC categories applied per specific work, why would I bother going back and changing the category that was generically applied back when it was an appointment?
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

I would have no reason to change this, that's probably why I've never encountered it before. My changes were being done off the schedule edit screen where NO categories were entered initially and I was adding them.
603-622-6434 x203

timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

That's how most of mine are (<all> because not selected initially or was never an appointment); when it didn't error out, I switched to appointment mode and changed after the fact. Still no problems. Now I think of a third scenario where the category is changed while it is STILL in the Schedule window as an appointment; no glitches seen despite changing and saving 10 times. Closed SE, re-opened SE, changed category again no problems seen.

We still need to hear what version of SE this is happening on and the PRECISE steps it takes to see it happen. It is possible that upgrading to a newer version could cure it, but this is pretty obscure so I can't say for certain.
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

It took many attempts for me to replicate, using 6.6.10. I just went back and tried again. Unable to replicate now....very erratic.
603-622-6434 x203

BERGMANS1

Post by BERGMANS1 »

SHOPKEY VERSION 6.6.10.13

The issue only happens sometimes but seems to be happening more frequently. It has happened multiple times today.

I think it only happens once it is in repair order status. I do not recall it happening when it is still a scheduled appointment or an estimate.

Say a customer is scheduled for 10 am and actually comes in at 8 am. I check the customer in, convert to repair order and so on. I go into the schedule to change his time from 10 am to 8 am because I like the appointments to be in a certain order. I like cars that are here to be on top and cars that are not here to be on bottom so it is easy to see how many are still coming in. The schedule will allow me to type in the new time, but when I hit the OK button nothing happens. So it hit cancel, then close the schedule. Once I close the schedule, shopkey crashes and that is when you get an error message.

It also happens if I try and change the category. We use the category different that most. We use it to mark waiters, loaners, people who need rides home. Having a quick drop down is easier than typing it into the note field all the time.

So in short....

Open the schedule, edit an appointment that is already in "repair order" status. Try changing the time or the category. Then try and click okay to save it. Sometimes it works fine, other times it will not and when you close the schedule, shopkey crashes. When you re-open shopkey, and go to make the change it works no problem. I have never had it crash twice back to back. But I have had it crash 4 or 5 times through out a day.
Johnny5
500 Club: Champion Contributor

Post by Johnny5 »

BERGMANS1 wrote:SHOPKEY VERSION 6.6.10.13
Say a customer is scheduled for 10 am and actually comes in at 8 am. I check the customer in, convert to repair order and so on. I go into the schedule to change his time from 10 am to 8 am because I like the appointments to be in a certain order. I like cars that are here to be on top and cars that are not here to be on bottom so it is easy to see how many are still coming in. The schedule will allow me to type in the new time, but when I hit the OK button nothing happens. So it hit cancel, then close the schedule. Once I close the schedule, shopkey crashes and that is when you get an error message.

It also happens if I try and change the category. We use the category different that most. We use it to mark waiters, loaners, people who need rides home. Having a quick drop down is easier than typing it into the note field all the time.
The new schedule interface does not have this problem, in the case where you change the time from 10am to 8am, you need only drag the appointment to 8am. As for the category, for now we have eliminated that from a scheduled appointment. In it's place is an Appointment State with a dropdown. There are several canned states and users can create as many custom states as desired. Please PM your account number so I may request an update be placed in the next 'pool'.
John Dwulet AKA: Johnny5
Retired - Mitchell1
BERGMANS1

Post by BERGMANS1 »

For what it's worth, I took a video of it happening with my phone. If there is somewhere I should send it, just let me know.
Johnny5

Post by Johnny5 »

BERGMANS1 wrote:For what it's worth, I took a video of it happening with my phone. If there is somewhere I should send it, just let me know.
It's not applicable anymore as the new version eliminated that scheduler in favor of new functionality.
Retired - Mitchell1
BERGMANS1

Post by BERGMANS1 »

Just updated. I am about to jump off a cliff. The old simple version of the schedule worked fine for me. The old schedule showed total jobs scheduled for the day and total hours. I can not find that information anywhere. Am I missing something? How am I supposed to know if I am full or not? Am I expected to add up everything on the schedule in my head? Please tell me I am missing something.
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

BERGMANS1 wrote:Just updated. I am about to jump off a cliff. The old simple version of the schedule worked fine for me. The old schedule showed total jobs scheduled for the day and total hours. I can not find that information anywhere. Am I missing something? How am I supposed to know if I am full or not? Am I expected to add up everything on the schedule in my head? Please tell me I am missing something.
Those are gone, you're not missing anything. I am told they are working to restore some of these features.

Also, be aware that any previous appointments not manually entered are not carried over to the new schedule. IOW, if you made an Estimate for Monday previously and it showed in the old schedule, it will not show up in the new schedule. You'll need to manually enter all those yourself.
603-622-6434 x203

Johnny5

Post by Johnny5 »

BERGMANS1 wrote:Just updated. I am about to jump off a cliff. The old simple version of the schedule worked fine for me. The old schedule showed total jobs scheduled for the day and total hours. I can not find that information anywhere. Am I missing something? How am I supposed to know if I am full or not? Am I expected to add up everything on the schedule in my head? Please tell me I am missing something.
We know change is difficult and think long and hard before something is changed in the software. Some changes just have to be done so that we may build on them, without change there is no program evolution. I hate for example Windows 8.1, but the more I work with it, the more I find it's benefit. There are additional enhancements coming to the scheduler soon that will show appointments per day, order hours per appointment and total order hours for the day/week/month.

In the meantime, the schedule 'Day View' show appointments and who they are assigned to. The day view provides a graphical look at how loaded the schedule is. I would ask you also experiment with all the controls available in the scheduler, as well make certain you have complete the necessary setups.
Retired - Mitchell1
BERGMANS1

Post by BERGMANS1 »

Can I revert to the old style schedule until this one is fixed?

The amount of problems this is causing me is massive.
murraymotive
100 Club: Active Contributor
100 Club: Active Contributor

Post by murraymotive »

BERGMANS1 wrote:Can I revert to the old style schedule until this one is fixed?

The amount of problems this is causing me is massive.
We actually called Tech Support today and they said yes, but the real answer is no. You have to revert back to your last database backup using a NON-7.0 database, then uninstall the host machine, then uninstall workstations, etc, etc and finally once you reinstall you will be prompted every 12 hours to install 7.0.

In our case, we got upgraded last Friday. We'd have to re-enter an entire week's work, in addition, get prompted every day on every machine to upgrade. With 12 machines that will be a total pain. lol
Silky7
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by Silky7 »

Please be aware we are currently working to add Order hour totals into the Schedule, and should have this update out to you in the next week or two.
M1 Product Manager
BERGMANS1

Post by BERGMANS1 »

Silky7 wrote:Please be aware we are currently working to add Order hour totals into the Schedule, and should have this update out to you in the next week or two.
Yeah we decided to try our best to make it work knowing that eventually we will have no choice but to switch. Fortunately, we are not very busy right now. Otherwise, I would be seriously pulling hair out.

Return to “Technical Issues”