Firewall / Anti Virus Settings?

Manager SE specific technical issues
sarg88

Firewall / Anti Virus Settings?

Post by sarg88 »

We had a small level intrusion on our pc. So we upgraded our virus protection and Mitchell isnt working properly. Tech support as always wont help if its on our end. LAME. but i can understand. barely. I am 98% of the I.T. guy here at the shop. if I need to repair my end. I need to know the specifics. what to allow to pass thru the network. ie. extensions? file paths? apps .exe? services? communication? any help would be appreciated.
Mike Babick
Owner
Advanced Auto Systems
Tualatin, OR
Silky7
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Re: Firewall / Anti Virus Settings?

Post by Silky7 »

Mike,

I reviewed your call and recordings. It appears the issue was determined to be the firewall component of your Vipre software. Here's an excerpt from our knowledgebase that will hopefully point you in the right direction:

Windows Firewall and third party firewall products can block communication.

The following firewall ports need to be open in order for Manager and its Updater agent to work on the host machine. Please note Mitchell1 does not assist with third party firewall setup.

For SQL: TCP 1433 and UDP 1434

For the Updater: TCP ports 8001, 8002, 8006, 8010, 8080, 8081, 8085, and 8091

- See more at: http://mitchell1.com/knowledgebase/arti ... bsd21.dpuf

In a nutshell, try here to see if helps you open the ports in the Vipre firewall. http://www.ctimls.com/Support/KB/How%20 ... rewall.htm
M1 Product Manager
sarg88

Post by sarg88 »

thank you. I really appreciate the help. I understand about the third party software, but I also dont see the problem or liability with telling how to let mitchell through a firewall. whichs seems you have done here but took some hoops to get there.
Mike Babick
Owner
Advanced Auto Systems
Tualatin, OR
motley06
300 Club: Superstar Contributor
300 Club: Superstar Contributor

Post by motley06 »

I ran into the same thing a while back. A lot of us are smaller shops and can't employ an IT guy or know where to go to find one. It would be nice if there was some way to allow (sign a waiver maybe) to let Mitchell's tech support modify your network settings to the best of their ability to allow proper functionality.

Anything would be better than 'Sorry, we can't touch those settings on your end'. Frustrating when you know the guy on the other end probably could have you fixed up in 5 minutes or less. Luckily the forums and contributors here seem to fill the gap and get us by.
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

There are practical limits as to how far support can go; for every perceived 5 minute cure, there can be a dozen long drawn out quagmires lurking out there. The support agent is charged with making sure that they do everything inside the supplied parameters and then getting to the next call. (there is always the next call waiting) As you know from the repair business, be very careful what you step in. Manager tech calls can be lengthy; were agents to routinely play with a shop's network settings they could disappear down a rabbit hole for an extra 30 minutes easily and then the overall level of service (including those pesky hold times) becomes unreasonable.
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer

Return to “Technical Issues”