Printer Issues

Manager SE Reports & printing
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Printer Issues

Post by steven kiser »

just installed newest update and the next day printer started screwing up. Would print estimates for services but that was it. Called support and waited for 1/2 and hour. I know people are busy so no problem. I finally got a tech and he went on my system and said my issue was printer related not program. I purchased another printer and installed it correctly. Couldn't get old printer off of default and after trying all sorts of things I got it to print estimates. Anything else goes to old printer and it wants to fax what I want to print. I need to get my monthly statements out and have called my I T service. They're not cheap and after purchasing a new printer for the tune of 200 bucks loosing two days of paperwork and if it gets resolved having to work on the weekend to catch up and do my billing finding out it is in fact a problem caused by the update I'll be out 3 - 4 hundred dollars, miss a day fishing, I'm going to stop being an advocate and start strongly agreeing with all the people posting that Mitchell is starting to tank. y rep ha refused to return any calls and I know it's not directly a Mitchell issue but it still sucks and now I'm getting hit by this. I've always defended Mitchell but I hope it isn't an error in my ways. I'll keep all posted and yes I'm pissed about the cost and loosing a much needed day off. If bills don't get out and paid in time I'll also have to move money from a CD and pay a early closing cost or dip into a reserve account. Things keep adding up and I really hope it's not a Mitchell issue........................
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
steven kiser

Re: printer issues

Post by steven kiser »

O.K. issue resolved. Apparently when I updated it changed all my default settings and somehow made the fax I never use the default or I mistakenly did it myself. It took my tech service a minute or two to find it and her had to click on and change all printer options to resolve it so I kind of think I couldn't mistakenly do it. What I don't understand (I kind of do) but the Mitchell Support Tech probably could have looked and at least told me what to do even if it was outside their "scope". I understand they can't go further but not everyone is computer savvy and I think I could have been told that sometimes updates can cause small issues and I should make sure all my defaults should be reset. Cost me 100 bucks for my tech, 200 for a copier I didn't need, plus a lot of aggravation. Just my two cents worth. Gotten so much in the past maybe I expect to much now :(
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Rich
4K Ultra Amazing Contributor
4K Ultra Amazing Contributor

Post by Rich »

But at least you get to fish......................................
Rich Hays
Work 9-11 or 616-696-0020
Being able to get CAPE off a Skew T chart is important in this hobby.
Silky7
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by Silky7 »

Sorry for your experience, Steve. I was wondering if you can clarify for me though -- did you call us again after you had the new printer?
M1 Product Manager
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

No, I called with the old printer still in line only. I waited on hold so long and was told it wasn't a Mitchell issue I would never have thought to call again. In all reality why should I have? It was doing the same thing as before. What really got under my skin was all this happened after I installed the disc. I explained this to the Mitchell Tech. I want to clarify something here, the tech I spoke with was very professional and did explain all as he went through and I do understand **** happens because I see it every day numerous times. BUT, when I pointed out that the pop up stated that the program wasn't responding not the printer I felt that since he had gone through some protocol that told him it wasn't a Mitchell issue he was done. He didn't say I'm done or anything like that, was polite and I know from past experience any tech support that has to do with a certain program will not go outside the program parameter. I fully accept this and since all tech support in the past was dead on I accepted it. Hindsight, I should have pushed the fact that it said "program" wasn't responding and it was defaulting to fax, an option I never ever had or wanted. I know they're understaffed (tech support) since I waited so long on hold or there were a lot of people having issues, either way I sat there squirming getting aggravated because being two men down I was getting further and further behind. Couldn't print receipts or do month end. The next day the I.T. company I use called, logged on and watched as I tried to print and It defaulted to the fax option and said program wasn't responding. He said it's obvious it's a program issue and went in and found for some reason all the printer options within the program had defaulted to fax with the exception of one. Could I have done it? Anything is possible and we all know from past postings I've caused big issues. The I.T. person on the phone told me that this should have been discovered by Mitchell. Now I know people and know that sometimes they try to make themselves look good not by their actions but by pointing out others faults. Did the update force the default? Mitchell says no and probably by looking into the update itself it didn't show anything so he was correct. But it said PROGRAM not printer wasn't responding and I asked why it defaulted to "FAX" and as I explained an option I never used may have pointed out that I may want to look into the printer settings and what to look for and change. I compare this to a customer of mine coming back into my shop complaining of a scraping noise after I put 4 tires on the vehicle. I check the pressure and lug nut torque and everything was fine. They drive away, the wheel bearing implodes, wheel falls off and they need to be towed in, it costs thousands of dollars more than if I looked past what we did to their complaint. Within the scope of what we had done all was fine, just outside the scope of what we did all wasn't. I understand completely, I really do, but I also feel one more step would have saved me a lot of frustration, aggravation, and not having to sit here now doing month end billing and I so much wanted to be on a boat fishing. I'm not going to let the point of my thoughts moving towards what I'm convinced is the fact that the waters I fish are going to be teeming with 40 pounders and records are going to be broken. A couple of 40 pounders would have reduced my poundage cost to a reasonable 20 bucks a pound :lol: I'm also not going to dwell on the fact that I've been going seven days a week for a month without a day to myself and had been looking forward to this day away from the everyday bull**** and here I am, my a** bone aching as I sit on the stool at the counter pounding away on the keys projecting I'm going to have to deal with people that just came by to see if I'm open and if I could change into work cloths and look at an oil leak because they have the opportunity to go fishing because some poor prick had to work and cancelled. Well you honor, that's why I shot Mr. so and so Saturday morning at 7:37 while I was doing my bookwork. I'm out 400 bucks and can't put a price on my serenity and can't shake the feeling one more step would have solved all my issues. I'm not really angry bit I'm greatly disappointed at this specific time. One more step or trying to figure out why it said program not printer................................................................Would have made my next few days so much more relaxing than they're going to be. Thanks, I really didn't need this
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

We were conducting the workshop event and I'm catching up now. On behalf of Mitchell 1, please accept our apologies for this support incident and there will be some followup on this on Monday.
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer

Return to “Reports + Printing”