Database backup files - Why are there two?

Manager SE Settings, Defaults, Database
VirginiaO
25 Club: Starting Contributor

Database backup files - Why are there two?

Post by VirginiaO »

Rather than change the location each time in Manager when I do a backup, I'll just copy the file to a USB once in a while.
There are two files created each day in my C:\ProgramData\M1-SK\Backup folders. One in the morning, called for example, 2017-06-08M1SK.bak. Then one when I shut down the program, as that is my choice for daily backup, that goes to the subfolder Backup and is called ThursdayShopMgtDatabaseBackup.bak. These are nearly identical in file size.
I know that backing up straight to the USB will use the 'Thursday' file, but what's the difference between these two files? Why are there two per day?
Virginia
Jeff @ Able Auto
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Re: Database backup files - Why are there two?

Post by Jeff @ Able Auto »

I believe the one you see in the morning is the auto back up that Mitchell runs overnight. Do you see a green or yellow check mark in the lower tray of the monitor? If so the odds are it's the M auto back up.
Jeff Fitzgerald - retired
Treasure Coast of Florida
"there will be enough time to sleep when we're dead"
Johnny5
500 Club: Champion Contributor

Post by Johnny5 »

Manager without any intervention from the user, makes a backup in C:\ProgramData\M1-SK\Backup .

The file that is created when you exit manager and elect to make a backup is being stored in the same location. What you should do is set the manual backup drive letter to correspond with your thumb drive. That setting can be found in "Configuration" / "Special Maintenance" / "DataBase Backup". Then when you exit and backup, with the thumb drive in you don't need to copy files and worry if the copy was without problem. The reason there are two is simple: VERY CHEAP INSURANCE. YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TOO MANY CURRENT BACKUPS.

<I'll just copy the file to a USB once in a while. > Hopefully you aren't, but: Never backup once in a while. Stuff Happens. You should also call support immediately and have them make certain auto backup (a third copy) is operational.

Regards,

JD

Someday I may have the opportunity to tell you the story of a guy who went hunting deep in the woods with only 1 spare in the bed of his truck. :)
John Dwulet AKA: Johnny5
Retired - Mitchell1
VirginiaO
25 Club: Starting Contributor

Post by VirginiaO »

Thanks, JD. I do backup every day, and take the USB file home with me with a weekly file. I didn't know a third location was an option. I'll definitely look into this.
Virginia
Johnny5

Post by Johnny5 »

:)
John Dwulet AKA: Johnny5
Retired - Mitchell1
sbcauto
100 Club: Active Contributor
100 Club: Active Contributor

Post by sbcauto »

I Have Two Thumb Drives, Mon-Wed-Fri And Tues-thur-Sat. I Back Up Only To The Thumb Drives Everyday A Take Drives Home With Me.

Return to “Database + Settings”