Inventory Part number changes

Manager SE Settings, Defaults, Database
cbalogh

Inventory Part number changes

Post by cbalogh »

We are going through our parts in inventory. Since we are new users, we are attempting to change some of the existing part numbers in our stock along with renaming some of our parts to make finding them easier when you do a search in the inventory. What we are finding is that when we change a number or the way we name a part I get a error message saying I can't change the item name or number because it is already in one of the estimates and it needs to be change there also. Is there a way to get around this, as I can see it will take forever to go into open estimates etc to change the part numbers/naming.
ShopManTim
100 Club: Active Contributor

Re: Inventory Part number changes

Post by ShopManTim »

Here in our shop, I face the same thing. Beings I am a prior Quick Books user, I find the delay in renaming or even changing the price on an inventory item a serious challenge to my patience. It is exceedingly frustrating to me. I am thinking that it may tell you which invoice that item is on so, what I do is go to that invoice/estimate and remove the item, go back to inventory and do what i wanted to change and then reinsert the item back into the invoice/estimate. Again, I agree, it can be an extremely time consuming process but to my knowledge, that is the only way around it. It may also be that an item information can be changed while it is still in an estimate form but for sure not on an invoice. So far as I am concerned, the powers that be can work on that to make changing inventory info much easier. Having said all I did, the Mitchell Shop Management System is a good system to have/use but there is some areas that I would like to see improved. And, BTW, no system is wothout some imperfections or shortcomings.
Enjoying Life as Our Maker Designed - Wrenching to pay the bills
Silky7
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by Silky7 »

cbalogh wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:32 pm
We are going through our parts in inventory. Since we are new users, we are attempting to change some of the existing part numbers in our stock along with renaming some of our parts to make finding them easier when you do a search in the inventory. What we are finding is that when we change a number or the way we name a part I get a error message saying I can't change the item name or number because it is already in one of the estimates and it needs to be change there also. Is there a way to get around this, as I can see it will take forever to go into open estimates etc to change the part numbers/naming.
If you are modifying inventory part numbers and or description, the system will update them for you. Please note the prompt that appears:
Part_Update.png
Part_Update.png (30.51 KiB) Viewed 6614 times
It isn't saying you can't change them, but rather asking if you want to. Answering "Yes" to that prompt will update the Part number and/or Description on the open orders for you. There is no need to go look for them.
M1 Product Manager
ShopManTim

Post by ShopManTim »

Did it recently change? Because in the past, it would not let me make a change on an inventory item that was on an open invoice. I must admit that this is a right good development though.
Silky7
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by Silky7 »

I think you may have updating vs. deleting crossed. Updating has been this way since I can remember. Deleting a part - that currently requires hunting; but I'd argue there isn't typically an immediate need to delete a record.
M1 Product Manager
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by ricmorin »

If the part is on an approved Order or above, you cannot change it. If it is on an Estimate, Revision or an unapproved(not printed) Order you can change it.
partnochange.PNG
partnochange.PNG (80.58 KiB) Viewed 6596 times
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

The trick is to either delete, change and re-enter the part or wait until the Order is posted. The warning gives you the order #.
603-622-6434 x203

cbalogh

Post by cbalogh »

Thanks, I just tried this again and this is what I got, so having to go into the system to update is going to be a bear.
Attachments
Screen shot.png
Screen shot.png (112.16 KiB) Viewed 6593 times
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Yeah, the problem didn't happen over night; the solution won't happen over night either. I see some duplicate part numbers and many negative quantities. Sticking to best practices keeps these things from getting bad.
603-622-6434 x203

GUTHTIRE
400 Club: Mega-Star Contributor
400 Club: Mega-Star Contributor

Post by GUTHTIRE »

Not sure how deep you're getting into the Inventory & part number but I would advise to NOT use Supersede at this time. Based upon my experience Supersede is kinda of "half baked" and not at all ready for prime time.
Dan
ShopManTim

Post by ShopManTim »

cbalogh wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:12 am
Thanks, I just tried this again and this is what I got, so having to go into the system to update is going to be a bear.
That is the same message I get even today yet when I try to change an inventory part that is in use on an existing order. Maybe there is a setting I need to change.
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

ShopManTim wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:01 am
cbalogh wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:12 am
That is the same message I get even today yet when I try to change an inventory part that is in use on an existing order. Maybe there is a setting I need to change.
If the part is on an approved Order or above, you cannot change it. If it is on an Estimate, Revision or an unapproved(not printed) Order you can change it. No setting.
603-622-6434 x203

Return to “Database + Settings”