P.O. Parts On Hand Confusion

Parts, catalogs, purchase orders, inventory
Bryce418

P.O. Parts On Hand Confusion

Post by Bryce418 »

we were looking at a couple po's and found something that caused us some questions.

we have two po's for the same part number that are closed po's. we went over to inventory and found that we have two entries with the same part number and both show quantity of one on hand, but one of the two shows one on order. we currently have one on hand and one we are waiting on a credit from a return for. the big question we are struggling with is, why is the one showing one on order with no open po?

I promise I'll stop pestering constantly next week, I get to go back to wrenching instead of this!
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Re: P.O. Parts On Hand Confusion

Post by timbre4 »

I believe you tagged onto a forum thread related to the QOH/ On Order question from 2014 the other day? How old is the part in question? If you have two part records with same part number then the description and/or mfg. line code is different. (test for uniqueness)

In the software, users used to be able to edit the On Order field manually, thinking they were correcting an issue. We re-calibrated the way that all of this works to be accurate and eliminate issues with incorrect On Order quantity. If this part situation is old, I'd just delete it and move on. If somebody created a P.O. as if for a part return, that was in error.
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
Bryce418

Post by Bryce418 »

both are recent po's. we have only been using Mitchell since mid January, so there isn't really such thing as an old order.

at this point I'm trying to wrap my head around what we are doing to create issues like this. each po was from a different writer and I feel like there is a possibility its creating inaccuracies in our inventory faster than is acceptable in my opinion.
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

Troubleshooting this may prove difficult without screen shots or contacting support. Let's try a few observations and see if something comes to mind.

Have you reviewed our parts ordering videos to compare your steps with?
PURCHASE ORDERS
Purchase Order - Automatic: http://youtu.be/VXcLJlzC-Dk
Purchase Order - Manual: http://youtu.be/g09QYRiXLPw

If the part was ordered electronically from a connected <link> catalog, a P.O. was automatically created and transmitted to the vendor to fulfill the order. The part line(s) on the Repair would change to display in blue. When the P.O. part(s) are received, those lines change to green to indicate received. One would think a second service writer would be aware of these indicators and not proceed to try to order the same part again. Additionally, once ordered, that part disappears from the Parts Ordering window (because it's already ordered) so somebody really has to work at it to order the same thing a second time.

For these P.O. items to even be in your inventory, a) it was previously an inventory record before this ordering activity or b) when received you had the box checked to create an inventory record if one didn't already exist.
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer

Return to “Parts + Ordering”