Changing part numbers

Parts, catalogs, purchase orders, inventory
DynaBMan
100 Club: Active Contributor

Changing part numbers

Post by DynaBMan »

Okay, so I have been working at Greg's Too for 15 years. Most of that time, we have been using ShopKey and I have many oil filter numbers in the inventory system so I can keep track of the cost and so I do not have to look them up on a website every time we sell one. I also have many of them in my head.

We are about to undertake the process of changing vendors for those oil filters and the numbers are all going to change. We use Partsmaster and Wix now and we will be going to Premium Guard and Luberfiner. I am trying to figure out how to best handle the changing of those numbers. I know I can create new inventory items, but I would rather not do that. I also know that I can change the part numbers in the system, change the cost and list and vendor, etc.

What I would really like is a way to use the old part numbers for a time, but still have ShopKey pull up the new numbers, but I am not sure that is possible. Eventually, I will learn the new numbers, just as I did with the old numbers, but until then, my head will likely spin off my shoulders. :D

Thoughts, ideas, tips, etc....
Larry Jackson
Greg's Too Car Care
Fort Smith, AR
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: Changing part numbers

Post by ricmorin »

The best way to do this is with superseding. That way you can choose between old stock and new stock by knowing the old number. For each part, you'll need to open the part record and click on Supersede. That will create a new record connected to the old. Do this for each record. Now when you type in the old number, you'll get a window that alerts you to the fact that the number is superseded AND shows you QOH for each, allowing you to CHOOSE the part you want to use. Use the old number if you still have some. Use the new if you don't. Eventually you can delete those old numbers if you want.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
DynaBMan

Re: Changing part numbers

Post by DynaBMan »

ricmorin wrote:The best way to do this is with superseding. That way you can choose between old stock and new stock by knowing the old number. For each part, you'll need to open the part record and click on Supersede. That will create a new record connected to the old. Do this for each record. Now when you type in the old number, you'll get a window that alerts you to the fact that the number is superseded AND shows you QOH for each, allowing you to CHOOSE the part you want to use. Use the old number if you still have some. Use the new if you don't. Eventually you can delete those old numbers if you want.
Thank you for the suggestion. I pride myself in knowing most of the little tricks and tips about ShopKey, but I completely missed the Supersede button.
Larry Jackson
Greg's Too Car Care
Fort Smith, AR

Return to “Parts + Ordering”