Helpful Tips from OnDemand5 Archives

Questions and comments about using ProDemand or ShopKeyPro information modules
himels

Helpful Tips from OnDemand5 Archives

Post by himels »

Several years ago, the live tips that were helpful in OnDemand5 were discontinued due to the upgrade to Prodemand. At that time, there seemed to be a commitment to have those tips archived into the system, as noted in the following quote:

"Good evening, I'm pleased to share the following message just received from Nick DiVerde - Director of Marketing @ Mitchell 1:

"Thanks for your concern about the OnDemand5.com tips being carried over to the new ProDemand platform. We’re encouraged to hear that the OnDemand Live feature helps customers like you to service more vehicles.

Because of the value they add to Mitchell 1’s service information, we are committed to including those tips in ProDemand. In the coming two months, we plan to take all the tips created in OnDemand5.com and transfer them to ProDemand in their appropriate locations in the data. That effort will be followed shortly by the ability for ProDemand subscribers to add new tips in context as they did in OnDemand5.com

Thanks again for your questions and patience as we transition together to this new and exciting platform."
Tim McDonnell -"

Earlier today, a job came in that jogged my memory & prompted me to try and find a helpful tip for water pump replacement on a 2004 GMC Envoy w/a 4.2 liter engine. Unfortunately for me, the tip was nowhere to be found in Prodemand or Suretrack. I called in to content support & the rep was also not able to find any tips for that vehicle. Does anyone know what happened to this tip? Is it just this one that is gone or have all the OnDemand tips been deleted from ProDemand?
I did perform the job and I recalled enough of the tip to be helpful, but I still would like to know what happened.
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Re: Helpful Tips from OnDemand5 Archives

Post by timbre4 »

Hello -

Thanks for asking, I will inquire on your behalf.

Timbre 4 (Tim McDonnell)
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
ShopManTim
100 Club: Active Contributor
100 Club: Active Contributor

Post by ShopManTim »

I for one second that request. Through the years they were available, I treasured having those tips as a resource in my shop business.
Enjoying Life as Our Maker Designed - Wrenching to pay the bills
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

We're going to need some time to figure out what can be done in this regard. Some people who know the most about this have either retired or moved on.
When I have some idea of what's possible, I will provide an update.
Tim McDonnell -
himels

Post by himels »

Has anyone tried reaching out to the past employees? If they left on good terms, they might be glad to shed some light on the situation.
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

himels wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:00 am
Has anyone tried reaching out to the past employees? If they left on good terms, they might be glad to shed some light on the situation.
Apologies for delayed response from trade shows etc.

That won't be necessary; I've found enough first-hand information on hand still exists, however it is complicated. We expressed a commitment years ago to figure out how to display those archived tips within the ProDemand platform. The architecture is different so it's not a simple matter of sprinkling back in where applicable [see below]. Here is some internal conversation today.

We have a database of the tips in house. There was a request to review and discard annotations that obviously no longer pertain but that never got finished. The challenge is that each and every annotation has to be reviewed based on the following:

> Annotation provides no value… random banter or opinion
> Product correction that has been corrected so annotation is no longer needed
> I’m sure there are others but those two come to mind

At this time, annotations still having value will not appear on the page where they were in OD5 but instead as a SureTrack Tip. Currently SureTrack content appears on the Search Results page. There are so few It is my thought that we would need to create a SureTrack Card for this to have any value to the user.

To this I would add:
The OD5 tips were based on what are now older vehicles as compared to today's vehicles so the value of this library is somewhat reduced.
If we get traction on such an endeavor, I suspect these would be delivered thru SureTrack when you use 1Search Plus (OEM + expert community) to see them "alongside" the OEM information.

I will deliver this message to the directors of development and marketing to get their take on this potential project.
Tim McDonnell -

Return to “Using ProDemand”