Specifications Index Top 10 - Comments

Questions and comments about using ProDemand or ShopKeyPro information modules
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Specifications Index Top 10 - Comments

Post by timbre4 »

I'm posting this here in case you're not in the ondemand5.com/shopkey5.com beta community because it's important to get your real-world input. We know that a significant number of lookups are for specifications and this information can generally be made available prior to the procdures being ready for release. Please read the notice below to see the scope of what we're looking for:

"We are currently reviewing our presentation and navigation to important vehicle specifications. As an OnDemand user you are aware that we have created SPECIFICATIONS INDEX articles for some vehicle applications (Example: 2004 Ford Pickup F150). We would like to know what are the 10 most valuable specifications you expect to find in the OnDemand product. This should EXCLUDE fluid specifications and capacity information that is available under the Maintenance tab."
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
wbuxton
1000 Club: Interstellar
1000 Club: Interstellar

Re: Specifications Index Top 10 - Comments

Post by wbuxton »

I do better at multiple choice but my #1 is Torque.
Uncle PETA said I could come back.
William
Weatherford, TX
817-599-7680
866-744-3887
http://www.phoenixtrans.com
liljoe
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Post by liljoe »

My top few would include torque, alignment, belt routing, and firing order info.

Thanks for the opportunity to help improve the products that we rely on to make our living.
Working hard to prove the Green Team can do it with the best of 'em.
Always remember: AIN'T NO FREE LUNCHES!!
Am I the Only One?- I don't think I am.
The further a society retreats from the truth, the more it hates those who speak it. George Orwell.
tony1981

Post by tony1981 »

my#1is torque,also like to see firing order
Tony
Kens Auto Care
Alexandria Ky. 41001
859-635-7657
kensautocare@yahoo.com
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

i'm assuming that since you said 10 i would post 10. it sounded easy but i had to think a bit. mmmm, what would i want for quick finger tip answers? ok, torque is important but i have a wheel chart and torque rods and when i print out a repair i'll include torque specs. but i see where it could be valuable.
so here goes, in no order;
tourque spechs, wheel base, oem tire size, pressure, speed rating, (we'll call tire info two) front, rear & total gvw, wiper blade size and style, headlamp part #, belt routing, suggested mfg mileage, fuse description and location. it's alway's the little things that get me. when a customer calls and asks me how many miles a gallon should i get? or taking a bulb out and finding out i don't have one, and having finger tip tire info would be a great thing. when a customer comes in with a system down and we have to used the hand book to locate the fuse i think it looks unprofessional. some times when you use the repair prgram to locate a fuse it'll be generic or lead you on a wild goose chase. i know i have a habit of turning a simple thing into production but ..............................
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Jeff @ Able Auto

Post by Jeff @ Able Auto »

Torque, fuse and relay locations, bulb types, belt routing, firing order, spark plug type, fuel pressure are my choices.
Jeff Fitzgerald - retired
Treasure Coast of Florida
"there will be enough time to sleep when we're dead"
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

Published specifications are generally the first pieces of data that OE's provide and also a large percentage of user lookups. Granted there may be some desire to see Component Location, that's starting to get a little outside the scope of SPECIFICATION INDEX.

Think in terms of the range of specifications we have historically included then maybe a couple new ones. Do we need to consider tires? What sources are used for that information today?
Tim McDonnell -
John C.
500 Club: Champion Contributor
500 Club: Champion Contributor

Post by John C. »

timbre4 wrote:Think in terms of the range of specifications we have historically included then maybe a couple new ones. Do we need to consider tires? What sources are used for that information today?
Yes, "Tire Guide", of course if vehicle can have multiple sizes we'll still have to actually see the tire on the car.
John C.
hubbard

Post by hubbard »

Brakes,torque specs,starting and charging,firing order,belt routing,fuel system,air conditioning
Tom
Jeff @ Able Auto

Post by Jeff @ Able Auto »

I would have to go with Hubbards line-up.
Jeff Fitzgerald - retired
Treasure Coast of Florida
"there will be enough time to sleep when we're dead"
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

In sharing results as we progress, I'm told that given the volume of possible torque specs it would be valuable to know which of those float to the top. 8)
Tim McDonnell -
timjlive
200 Club: Major Contributor
200 Club: Major Contributor

Post by timjlive »

hubbard wrote:Brakes,torque specs,starting and charging,firing order,belt routing,fuel system,air conditioning
I'll second that.

It's difficult to say which torque specs are more important to have at top. It really depends on the job I'm performing. What I would find beneficial is to have ALL torque specs in one place i.e. Specifications Index under a Torque Table which could be broken down into headings for say Engine, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension etc. Ideally it would be on one table that I could view on screen and scroll through because some jobs require you to be working under more than one of these headings.

:idea: Maybe a dual pane window with Hot Links for each heading to link to that particular part of the torque table.
Tim L.
Falls Uptown Motors
920-467-2311
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

What comes to my mind is WHEEL TORQUE SPECS. That is used every day. Disc and drum specs also. Engine and trans fluid capacity and type.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
Rich
4K Ultra Amazing Contributor
4K Ultra Amazing Contributor

Post by Rich »

Not counting the fluids my biggest used one is Brake specs. But when I am into Carquest looking up parts I just add the spec to the ro if needed. Then it would be firing order and cylinder head bolt specs. After that I loose count.
Rich Hays
Work 9-11 or 616-696-0020
Being able to get CAPE off a Skew T chart is important in this hobby.
Moffett

Post by Moffett »

Thanks everyone for your responses to date. We wish to capture as much information from our users as is possible while we consider evolving navigation and content in the repair information product. If you have additional thoughts on Quick Reference Information, Specifications, please let me know. The idea is to create a consistent Category access to what we hope will be the reference information you would require on a daily basis, a sort of express aisle of information.

Michael
liljoe

Post by liljoe »

Thanks for allowing us, the end users, to help decide what we need as far as info instead of telling us "this is what you need"
Working hard to prove the Green Team can do it with the best of 'em.
Always remember: AIN'T NO FREE LUNCHES!!
Am I the Only One?- I don't think I am.
The further a society retreats from the truth, the more it hates those who speak it. George Orwell.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

i must have misunderstood. i was thinking of specs that i could acess through the repair order without entering the repair section. navagating through the repair program for torgue specs and such is fairly easy. i was thinking of fingertip answers at the p.o.s. for example if a person calls for a tire quote and doesn't know what size. i open the link to my tire supplier, load the vehicle information, and it will give me size or size options and quality reports. i'm better suited to sell the job as opposed to mumbling into the phone. most people who don't know what tire size they have will call someone that can look it up and answer questions. as far as other pionts i would like to see, is estimated mileage figures from the manufacturer, average tire wear, etc. another thing i have happen occ is a customer calling and just having bought a new car are completely overwhelmed with the controls. i've had a few instances wher elderly people have either called crying or swearing. i would like to know octane reccomendations. at the p.o.s i am asked questions that i need to answer to get the job. when a person calls a shop they should be able to get some sort of answer. mumbling and stuttering equal a lost job. i would like to have finger tip acess to estimated common jobs. once the vehicle information is loaded into the p.o.s terminal fingertip answers to questions would be great. it would be so professional. i'll apologise in advance if this is already there. remember now, i'm a mechanic not an office specialtist.
Last edited by steven kiser on Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Kelly Matchett
25 Club: Starting Contributor

Post by Kelly Matchett »

The component locations is high on my list but already shot down... How about maintenance reset procedures? If nothing else, links to these from a spec sheet seems reasonable. I vote for the tire specs already mentioned. Without a car on my lot, I'm guessing at best with tires.

How about some less mentioned if there is still room:
Brake/rotor minimum specs?
Freon charge levels
Matt400

Post by Matt400 »

In no specific order my wish list is:
  • Firing order
    Fuel pressure
    Oil pressure
    Wheel torque
    Spark plug type & gap
    Exterior bulb numbers
    Alignment
    EPA rated mpg
    Tire pressure
    Belt routing
Matt
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Post by Tim Martin »

As a drivetrain repair specialty shop, my first spec would be fluids and capacities. Next would be torque specs. Then specs as tuneup and drivebelt routing. Quick VIN decoding would be a great help for me as well as RPO codes for GM vehicles. I use them often. Axle ratio specs would also rank high on the list.
Thanks to Mitchell 1 for a great product and their interest in making a great product even better. My hat is off to them.

Return to “Using ProDemand”