TIP: Gift Certificates

Manager SE Settings, Defaults, Database
AngelsAutoCare

TIP: Gift Certificates

Post by AngelsAutoCare »

Does anyone offer gift certificates?

How do you setup mitchell for them?

I.E. how would you post the payment?

I can always apply a credit easily enough to the customer but more interested in showing the intake of funds in the first place.

Just wondering how others do it, Thanks...
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Re: Gift Certificates

Post by brianp87 »

We have them and just post them with gift card as payment. SO in reality we dont show the payment until it is used.
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

I'm able to purchase blank gift certificate cards and load amounts into them through my credit card machine. I mostly offer hand written certificates. I load the certificate # as the customer information show it as a credit and track it that way. You can print a report on customers showing credits. As we all know the % of certificates not used makes it well worth the effort. I know that the time restriction laws vary from state to state and I believe in my state they're indefinite. I will not offer any certificate for a service, strictly dollar amount. When I offered services such as an oil change, rotation, and other what I thought were simple services I ran into a few issues arguing with people that received certificates that made it dollar amount only. A simple rotation turned into having to reprogram all sensors for location and pressure amount. It took about 45 minutes. People that received ones for oil changes would argue the non synthetic point and want to pay the difference based on oil prices at Walmart. That's the reason we strictly offer dollar amounts only. I run into a customer from time to time that feels dollar amounts aren't like giving a gift, older generation, they want a service so I'll only do it on a handwritten certificate stating the amount is to be used towards a particular service. I strive to keep it so the customer will be happy and the person that receives the certificate is a possible future customer is restricted with what they can receive from the certificate and give me a wider parameter to be a good doobie in what I'm willing to do. There is just as much as a % you'll run into a dick head that will bring a Mac Truck in for an oil change because you weren't specific on restrictions and when you tell him to hit the bricks he's going back to the giver and really *, this can cause issues. ONCE I gave service certificates as door prizes to an organization that helps citizens with severe handicaps. I was shocked on how many people that received the certificates wanted more than they offered or cash value. I did it simply because I didn't want any negative publicity or fall out. I pictured it in the news paper "Kiser automotive refuses to honor prizes people received as thanks for attending a fund raising dinner for handicapped people" I'd close the doors. Simply put, there are negative sides to everything and I strive to focus and protect myself from them.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

You might also code an entry 'Gift certificate' for the Source field and use that on each of the resulting invoices. There is a referral Source that totals this up for you.

To create a Source option:
1. Click the small 3 dot box next to Source on Order screen. This opens a window with Add/ Edit / Delete controls.
2. Click Add and enter Gift Certificate or similar text.
3. Click OK to save your new entry.

Then when a Gift Certificate us redeemed on an order, you can flag that invoice each time and that feeds the reporting.
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer

Return to “Database + Settings”