Vendor Warranty Reimbursement

Manager SE Settings, Defaults, Database
fleetservice

Vendor Warranty Reimbursement

Post by fleetservice »

Say a customer comes in for a repair. It ends up being a part that we have replaced before through NAPA or ACDelco or whomever.
So it’s a comeback or warranty repair that is partially covered by the part supplier.
I know it will take them 6 weeks at least to send a payment.
I don’t want to keep it under WIP for 6 weeks. How do I post it to AR and still be able to track the check when it comes in 6 weeks later and a lot of times it only has a generic reference number.(hardly ever has the customer name on it. )
I still want to know that we have made the repair to the vehicle in the history but want it to be billed to the vendor.
I want to list it under the vendor not the customer name so it can be tracked easily in AR and I don’t send a statement to the customer saying hey pay up your invoice.
Any help would be appreciated
motley06
300 Club: Superstar Contributor

Re: Vendor Warranty Reimbursement

Post by motley06 »

I'd also be interested to see how others handle this.
Currently, I have a payment type in Mitchell that takes the ticket amount and expenses it in our warranty account. Then when checks come in, we apply it to the warranty account. It's not great for tracking individual tickets, but it does keep an overall balance I believe
fleetservice

Post by fleetservice »

Straight up warranty invoices that we take care of internally are obviously easy. But when you want to keep the repair invoice under the customer name so you can keep the history of the vehicle accurate is when it becomes difficult.
If the vendor would just pay immediately would eliminate the problem
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by ricmorin »

Change Ownership.

Temporarily change ownership of the vehicle and create the order for the work, whether partial or full. Post the Invoice. Change ownership back. If partial then you have two orders for the work, one for customer responsibility and one for vendor. If you are eating part of it and there is no customer responsibility, then just one order in vendors name. Write off the balance that you eat.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
fleetservice

Post by fleetservice »

I believe that will work. The older versions would not allow you to change owners with a balance so i had not checked the newer version.
Thanks
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

I do it under the customer to keep track. Create an invoice showing what was done and zero it out. I know it affects the figures for profit reports but I know what is happening and when so I do it this way.
Sauvageaus

Post by Sauvageaus »

brianp87 wrote:I do it under the customer to keep track. Create an invoice showing what was done and zero it out. I know it affects the figures for profit reports but I know what is happening and when so I do it this way.
That's how I do it too

Return to “Database + Settings”