Proper Refunding

Manager SE Settings, Defaults, Database
mtbitt

Proper Refunding

Post by mtbitt »

I have been looking around on here and have not found a concrete answer.

I had a long time customer today that was charged again for a service that was performed not too long ago, and wanted me to take care of him. No problem, I was not aware the service was repeated(a coolant flush), our new guy did it, and I told him it was ok, cause I was busy and did nto take the time to look up the history of the care.

I started a new invoice and entered the refunded parts and labor as a 'minus' amount. On the invoice, sales tax, labor and parts show up as a negative amount. I cut him a refund check, when I go to post the invoice, it asks if I want to apply the amount as a credit, if I answer no, it will not post, yes makes a credit, which is easy enough to remove on customer screen.

My problem is, what report will show a refunded amount for our records?

Thank you! Mark :?
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: Proper Refunding

Post by steven kiser »

i'd like to see the answer to this one as well. usually i just cut a check and reopen the order and add a note with the check # on it.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

Oddly enough, search on 'refund' nets Tina's (fortknoxx) definitive text March 13th, 2009:

http://managerforum.net/viewtopic.php?f ... und#p35668

if you type "refund" in the search box, you will get results with any post with the word refund in it. look to the right for the topic name and catagory. i believe this is what you are looking for. i have copied and pasted it here for you. if you are unsure please call me and i will walk you thru it

for counter sale
open a new 3 tab invoice.
enter info with neg qty for parts,
hit pay
choose cc method
enter - amount -123.45
pay
for ro
open new 5 tab invoice
enter neg $ for labor. -125.00
if parts are involved enter neg qty
convert to invoice
hit options
hit apply payments
choose cc method
enter neg amount -125.00 or what ever it is
hit pay
hit post

you need a paper trail.
i created a pn and catagory as refund. this way when looking in history with catagory it will show when a refund was made at a glance.

sales tax was already collected on orig invoice. if it was made in a prev quarter or month. it might have already been paid. if you tinker with a posted order it will mess up all prev data. just create a new one with a paper trail.
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
mtbitt

Post by mtbitt »

Ok, saw that and tried it on Friday bdfore I posted original question, but will run through it on Monday when I get it. First time I tried it, no negative amount showed on end of day reports.

Thanks, Mark
mtbitt

Post by mtbitt »

OK, I figured out what a I had done wrong originally.

When entering the payment, I did not enter anything and it came up as a credit. So I entered the negative amount as a check payment, then put "Refund and check number" in the check/reference space.

Now my Cash reciepts by payment type has this negative amount shown.

Thanks, Mark
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

Glad to hear it; those little details make all the difference.
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
fortknoxx
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Post by fortknoxx »

When I issue a refund by check, I pay the invoice as cash with "refund check #" in the check / ref field. then make a seperate cash deposit in the bank for the refund check. if you pay it as a check it will show up as a neg check amount on the cash recpts report. it just makes for less confusion when doing EOD paperwork. :D
T-N-T (Tina Nuse-Tolar)
Gone but not forgotten...Camper Bob's

609-760-7079 Cell

Return to “Database + Settings”