Handling Overpayment

Manager SE Settings, Defaults, Database
Vickie

Handling Overpayment

Post by Vickie »

What is the proper way to handle a customer writing the check for a few dollars more than the invoice? We have a few customers that write their check for an even amount? They do not want the difference to be on their account they just want to give us a few extra bucks. It would be nice to show the "tip" on some sort of report so that I know what to do with it when I transfer my numbers to Quickbooks.
Thanks,
Vickie
fortknoxx
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Re: Handling Overpayment

Post by fortknoxx »

i would apply the check payment, then refund the over payment on the same invoice as cash. this way there is a record of the actual payment, the checks will match up to the report. you choose what to do with the cash.
i guess you could enter the cash refund into quick books as a bonus for the employee. or just hand the cash refund to customer to give to whom ever he/she wishes.
T-N-T (Tina Nuse-Tolar)
Gone but not forgotten...Camper Bob's

609-760-7079 Cell
Vickie

Post by Vickie »

Tina,
Walk me through this. Customer's invoice is for 106.84 and he wrote check for 110.00. I do F5 batch payment for 110.00 and a screen pops up saying apply excess to customer's account? Take it from here....
fortknoxx

Post by fortknoxx »

with invoice open, (if posted, unpost) can not be done with f5.
hit payment. enter 110.00 check, pay.
then you will see this
invoice amount 106.84
amount paid 110.00
invoice balance -3.16

with payment screen still open.
select cash
enter -3.16
hit pay.

this will bring invoice down to 0 balance.
it will deduct -3.16 off the cash recpts by payment type, so all is accounted for.
T-N-T (Tina Nuse-Tolar)

609-760-7079 Cell
asample
300 Club: Superstar Contributor
300 Club: Superstar Contributor

Post by asample »

I would enter the payment for invoice amount and take the change out of the drawer and add it to my scrap metal/carwash fund that I use for occassional pizza or other treats for the guys. The other option I use on occassion is to take the change difference and give it to the tech that performed the work. I don't see where it really has to be accounted for unless it over a short period of time amounts to hundreds of dollars.

I occassionlly joke with some of my "good" customers that the invoice total includes my tip. One customer said "I didn't know that you tip mechanics." I replied, "
geneerally not, that's why I include it in the total!!!". (Kinda like restaurants do)
Arlin G. Sample
Automotive Services of All Sorts, Inc.
Greeley, CO 80631
970-352-5598
fortknoxx

Post by fortknoxx »

if you are not performing a dsr (daily sales report) that would be fine.
but if you want all of your numbers to match, i would enter the full check amount as payment, the refund the change. here, the accountant wants the check amounts deposited to match the check amount on the cash recpts by payment type report.
T-N-T (Tina Nuse-Tolar)

609-760-7079 Cell
Vickie

Post by Vickie »

I for one like to have everything balance out and show on my reports...that's just the way the good Lord made me :D I appreciate the help Tina, the only drawback is that if I unpost the invoice and make a payment I will have to change my reports for that day. Help me think this through, couldn't it cause problems if my service advisor starts unposting, applying payments, and reposting and I don't know about it? Also what if a customer is making payments on more than one invoice? Maybe I'm getting too particular!
fortknoxx

Post by fortknoxx »

Vickie wrote:I for one like to have everything balance out and show on my reports...that's just the way the good Lord made me :D I appreciate the help Tina, the only drawback is that if I unpost the invoice and make a payment I will have to change my reports for that day. Help me think this through, couldn't it cause problems if my service advisor starts unposting, applying payments, and reposting and I don't know about it? Also what if a customer is making payments on more than one invoice? Maybe I'm getting too particular!
password protect the unpost, delete payment, delete customer and delete invoice. this has saved me so much time not having to figure out what the gremlin did.

if you run your reports at the end of day, just do your unposting before you print your reports. i would not go back any further than yesterday, if adjustments need to be made. just start from this day on.
T-N-T (Tina Nuse-Tolar)

609-760-7079 Cell
Vickie

Post by Vickie »

Tina,
Duh, I didn't realize that I could unpost an invoice, keep the original posting date, and apply the payment for a different date until just now. I truly appreciate your advice...you must like your reports to balance too!
fortknoxx

Post by fortknoxx »

you are welcome. glad we could help. i would still pw protect. this stops the gremlins from trying to HELP you.
T-N-T (Tina Nuse-Tolar)

609-760-7079 Cell
Vickie

Post by Vickie »

The only thing that isn't correct on my reports Tina, is that because I unposted the invoice to apply the payment, the payment then will not show up under paid on account. This is a problem if I repost the invoice under the original posting date (because I don't want to mess up my original entries into Quickbooks) and apply the payment for today. I wish we were able to do it under batch payments the same way we do it with an unposted invoice.

Vickie

I will look into password protecting those areas and I'm sure I will have some questions along the way!

Return to “Database + Settings”