Applying Payments

Manager SE Settings, Defaults, Database
Sullys

Applying Payments

Post by Sullys »

I have 2 issues....The first one is there was an invoice that was posted with no payment. A payment came in thru the mail few days later, someone applied it the f5 batch way and applied the correct amount to the invoice. Couple of weeks later, we found that the receipt says the payment is applied on account'. says that on the daily cash receipt report, applied on account. When you open the customer up to start a new Invoice, says the customer still owes the money. is get fixed? Now I have an invoice that says it was paid, but customer still has an open balance, same amount. What and how to get this fixed?

2nd Issue - when a customer comes in and makes a pymt (not in full), I process the payment for that day, match off of reports that are printed. Then, when customer pays the balance, I post the amount, do the daily reports, and always comes up posting the original amount, therefore, making my reports (and payments) off.

Please help me with these 2 issues. Thanks!
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: Applying Payments

Post by ricmorin »

Regarding the first issue. Sounds like the payment was applied 'on account' instead of 'to an invoice'. So now they have a credit AND a balance and it's the same amount? Go back to F5 and use the 'Apply Credit' button and distribute that credit to the correct invoice. That should wipe the slate clean.

I don't fully understand the second. If customer pays 200 down, then the bill is 300 and he pays the final 100, the program will still 'post' the invoice at 300. It should do that. Difference will show in Cash Receipts. Don't base you cash off of Posted Orders. Or am I not getting it?
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
fortknoxx
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Post by fortknoxx »

Sullys wrote:
2nd Issue - when a customer comes in and makes a pymt (not in full), I process the payment for that day, match off of reports that are printed. Then, when customer pays the balance, I post the amount, do the daily reports, and always comes up posting the original amount, therefore, making my reports (and payments) off.

Please help me with these 2 issues. Thanks!
Are we making a deposit on future work? or are we paying towards and invoice?

This is how we do it here.
We post the invoice once the vehicle leaves. doesn't matter if customer pays in full, partial, or on account. If partial payment is made, note on invoice when the remainder is to be paid. When you get the payment, hit f5 (batch payment) enter amount in box, then go to invoice line and enter the amount to be applied to that invoice. You can also hit auto dist. which will apply payment to oldest invoice. Invoice must be posted to apply f5.

My customers must pay for parts before I order them. I start an invoice. take deposit, schedule work, mark as printed, and exit. Leaving the invoice on the wip screen. when work is done, and vehicle picked up thats when I post the invoice paid or not.

As for the first part of your post, 1 of 2 things happened.#1 the invoice was still in wip when f5 was entered. since it was not posted there is no where to apply the payment to.
#2 the invoice was posted, in f5 the amount was entered into the first box (on acct).
T-N-T (Tina Nuse-Tolar)
Gone but not forgotten...Camper Bob's

609-760-7079 Cell
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

The second issue i see what your doing and if i'm not careful it happens to me. You post a partial payment against an order and it will show the total with the paid amount deducted on the receipt. When the final payment is made it prints the receipt as the TOTAL amount being paid, correct. What i do is on any person that only pays a partial amount i first post the order as a charge, then apply payment using the F5 key. It less confusing this way to my office manager and doesn't leave an open order.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Return to “Database + Settings”