Deposit For Future Work?

Manager SE Settings, Defaults, Database
PTR8169

Deposit For Future Work?

Post by PTR8169 »

We had a customer that gave us a lump sum for work to be done in the future. The customer wanted it to be posted last year so in order to do so we fab an invoice for that amount. I closed out the year. We have now completed the work and I am wondering how to post the fab invoices without them adding to any reports. If I post the fab invoices and show them as a credit for this customer will the reports show this as added deposit?

Any info on how to do this would be appreciated. DB
PTR8169

Re: Deposit For Future Work?

Post by PTR8169 »

Maybe I need to make what I did a little clearer. A customer wanted to make a partial deposit last year for future work but wanted the invoice dated last year for the total quoted amount. I created an invoice for the total amount deposited the partial payment and closed out the year per customer request. Now this work has been done and we need to show the customer what exactly was done so we created another invoice for work performed. How do I post the invoice for work performed which has to show the amount for the customer and post it to the outstanding invoice for the deposit made last year? If I enter the invoice for work performed as a credit against the invoice for last year still owing, will this increase the amount of sales for that month?
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by ricmorin »

The mistake you made is creating fabricated invoices. What should have happened is this: You should have taken the funds and posted them in F5 Batch Payment on the 'On Account' line. Now that customer shows a credit. When the work is done and posted, simply use the 'Apply Credit' button in F5 Batch Payments to distribute the credit to the invoice(s).

As far as correcting this, I'm unsure. Perhaps you could delete the fake invoices? I'm not sure how that would affect the payment. It may kill it. I think I would use my 'write off' line to 'pay' the real invoice so it doesn't show as due. It shouldn't affect your books because the money for this job came in last year, so it's not showing as income this year regardless.

Let's be sure. Are you showing a credit for this customer or not?
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

PTR8169 wrote:Maybe I need to make what I did a little clearer. A customer wanted to make a partial deposit last year for future work but wanted the invoice dated last year for the total quoted amount. I created an invoice for the total amount deposited the partial payment and closed out the year per customer request. Now this work has been done and we need to show the customer what exactly was done so we created another invoice for work performed. How do I post the invoice for work performed which has to show the amount for the customer and post it to the outstanding invoice for the deposit made last year? If I enter the invoice for work performed as a credit against the invoice for last year still owing, will this increase the amount of sales for that month?
That changes a lot. Why did this customer want this? You made yourself a real mess by accomodating this customer, and yes, this will show the work twice. My suggestion is to refrain from this kind of activity. It's a real headache. At this point, I have no idea what I'd do. Perhaps I'd just make an invoice outside of Manager so it doesn't show in there twice. YIKES!!
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders

Return to “Database + Settings”