TIP: On Deposit Payment?

Manager SE Settings, Defaults, Database
KERNERS
25 Club: Starting Contributor

TIP: On Deposit Payment?

Post by KERNERS »

An example of a deposit would be a customer paying money for a part so that it can be ordered. However Manager SE 6.4 wants to apply any split payments, or payment on account as a deposit payment. Which creates a problem at month end when I have a bunch of money identified as "On Deposit" with no explaination. Unless I go through every invoice from the month I have no way of determining where this money is from or is it earned income for the month or an acutal deposit received from a customer.

How can I correct this promblem? If I receive a payment from a A/R account and apply that payment as a batch payment Manager wants to make that payment a Paid on Deposit not a Paid on Invoice. If a customer comes in and wants to pay an open invoice with two forms of payment, Manager wants to take the first payment as a Paid on Deposit payment when in fact the invoice is closed already by end of day. How do I get Manager to apply these payment correctly? A deposit is just that, money paid for work not yet completed, therefore that should be my only Deposit money listed on month end reports. A deposit is not money received for work already completed, or money received as a partial payment when the invoice is paid in full at the same time without even leaving the apply payments window.

Please advise
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Re: On Deposit Payment?

Post by timbre4 »

It sounds like you're not posting invoices on the same day that payments are being received. If the system sees payments for an RO, this is Paid on Deposit. If a payment is rec'd on an Invoice but the Invoice is NOT posted that same day, it also interprets this as a deposit since it's not posted.

Here are a couple examples where all is done in a linear sequence in the same day:

RED = Invoice with a split payment; both seen as Paid on Invoice
BLUE = Invoice posted as Charge; payment seen as Paid on Account

If you keep these things in mind, the program behaves as expected.
Attachments
payments.jpg
payments.jpg (58.11 KiB) Viewed 6447 times
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
randallauto

Post by randallauto »

We also require that special order parts be paid in advance before we will order them unless we have the vehicle in our possesion the whole time. Not sure if what I do will work for you or not but here is how I handle it.

I will pay and post their current invoice if they have a bill for any diagnostic time or other work during the visit where we found the need to order parts that we couldnt get that day. I then do a batch payment (F5) in the amount of the special order deposit and apply it "on account" The customer screen will then show they have a credit balance equal to the amount they deposited for the parts. When the parts come in I generate a new repair order I pay and post it applying the credit at that time.

This way the payment isnt applied to an RO until the customer actually has the work done. We run a weekly excel spreadsheet where we track sales tech pay cash paid out etc. When a customer prepays it simply gets put in the Paid Accounts section as a prepayment and later when he comes back in the credited balance goes in the Unpaid Accounts on the spreadsheet both with a note that it was a prepayment. Because we didnt have an RO the day it was taken in and didnt have a payment the day it was cashed out. The Owner uses the weekly excell spreadsheets plug the numbers into Quickbooks. As long as the Paid and Unpaids balance its all good.

Craig
KERNERS
25 Club: Starting Contributor

Post by KERNERS »

timbre4 wrote:It sounds like you're not posting invoices on the same day that payments are being received. If the system sees payments for an RO, this is Paid on Deposit. If a payment is rec'd on an Invoice but the Invoice is NOT posted that same day, it also interprets this as a deposit since it's not posted.

Here are a couple examples where all is done in a linear sequence in the same day:

RED = Invoice with a split payment; both seen as Paid on Invoice
BLUE = Invoice posted as Charge; payment seen as Paid on Account

If you keep these things in mind, the program behaves as expected.
......We do both of these and neither show up as you have illustrated. If an invoice is posted as a Charge, and closed, and the payment is made at a later date, when posting the payment as a Batch payment, it always shows up as an on Deposit payment. Further, a split payment made on the same day at the same time the first payment shows up as a on deposit, and the second as on Invoice.
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

Okay, I went back to that second invoice (June 14th) above and deleted the payment. This makes the invoice due and payable once again. So here is the sequence and the outcome.

1. Work completed and invoice posted on 6/14
2. F5 Batch Payment to process payment on 6/27
3. Run Cash Receipts - it shows as payment on account (correct) and deposit remains zero (not applicable)
payment.jpg
payment.jpg (41.92 KiB) Viewed 6376 times
Since I'm showing actual samples of how the system works properly and I cannot replicate what you are seeing, I suggest that you contact tech support ASAP, as investigating this further is beyond the scope of the forum.
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by ricmorin »

Just one thing on the Batch Payment...... are you applying the payment to the invoice? If there is only one you can click Auto Distribute and it will populate the fields to the right of the amount due. Are you entering numbers here? Because if you don't, you payment will not apply to a Invoice and go On Account. In other words, you need to enter the payment in the 'Amount' field AND the 'Payment' field to get that payment onto that Invoice.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders

Return to “Database + Settings”