Saturn Ion2 - Stumbles, Dies?

Specific repair issues for all GM cars + FWD vans
alphaauto
25 Club: Starting Contributor

Saturn Ion2 - Stumbles, Dies?

Post by alphaauto »

Got a Saturn Ion2 that is giving us a headache. In the beginning the car had a bad battery issue & customer replaced battery. Car only has 29499 miles; car sits a lot.

Fine no problems. Then the mayhem began over the lasts 6 months. Lady gave car to her son in law. He had the check engine light come on & found O2codes. Replaced both o2 sensors. Fine all good. Then 2 weeks later he complained that car had no power to get on highway. Checked fuel psi & found low & drops as per tree tests. Suspected clogged filter. Changed heavy dirty filter. Car ran good 1 day ,then fuel pump went out.

Replaced fuel pump assy. Car had power & customer drove for 3 weeks. Then he stated that at a stop hot in drive car would stumble & die out. But would restart. Inspected all previous repairs. All checked ok. Found throttle body severly carboned. Cleaned t-body. Customer drove car again for 4 days. Came back & stated that car will chugg at a light, cut off & restart.

Have had car 2 weeks here at shop & the only thing that happens, at every road tests or let car sit idling is it stumbles or chugs every so often.

Any ideas?????
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Re: Saturn Ion2 - Stumbles, Dies?

Post by Tim Martin »

They aren't running gas with a high ethanol content are they?

Just a thought as I have seen some similar issues when high ethanol gas is used.

By the way, what year is this vehicle.
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

if the throttle body was gummed up like you said i would really suggest cleaning the iac and doing a b&g service for the fuel system. if there is carbon near the injectors it will soak up raw fuel and after a total soak will start dripping into the cylinder causing exactly what you're talking about. i use b&g, i'm sure that there are other systems that work as well. i used a sun injection flush machine and it worked well. the b&g is so much easier to set up and i get the same result so i switched over.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
jbadenoch
400 Club: Mega-Star Contributor
400 Club: Mega-Star Contributor

Post by jbadenoch »

I'm goin with fuel contam, easy to test
alphaauto

Post by alphaauto »

Okay, did the BG fuel injector flush. Road tested vehicle on one long road test. Had idle rpm surge 4 times. Car has got good pickup.

Still can't get car to cut off. :evil: :evil:
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

i'm going with the surge is while in drive with foot on brake idling. if the pcm detects a low idle it will open the iac to prevent stall. without more exact information i'll take a shot here and suggest disconnecting the e.g.r. valve and see if it resolves the surging at idle.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
alphaauto

Post by alphaauto »

Sorry car is a 2006 Saturn & yes it surges with foot on brake while sitting at a light.But the car has no egr valve. Have been driving car again & still i can't get it to cut off.But customer wants a gaurantee it is fixed before picking up car.

Return to “GM Cars”