1953 Chevy Belair Wiring

Specific repair issues for all GM cars + FWD vans
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

1953 Chevy Belair Wiring

Post by Tim Martin »

Is it possible for me to get wiring for this 53 Chevy Belair that a customer just brought in? This is one of these perfectly restored vehicles that the owner is super proud to have.The wiring from the dash to the rear of the vehicle is in bad shape. Any info would be appreciated. I am not looking forward to redoing every single wire.
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Re: 1953 Chev Bel Air - Wiring

Post by timbre4 »

I believe you have an active repair subscription, contact our Product Support dept.
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
Tim Martin

Re: 1953 Chev Bel Air - Wiring

Post by Tim Martin »

timbre4 wrote:I believe you have an active repair subscription, contact our Product Support dept.
I'm not trying to be funny but what I need is to try to locate a place that can sell me a complete wiring harness if that is possible. Admittedly a wiring diagram would be helpful if I could get that also.
nickscarcare
750 Club: World Class Contributor

Re: 1953 Chevy Belair Wiring

Post by nickscarcare »

If you are looking for a harness from front to rear, here is a copy of painless wiring. http://www.painlesswiring.com/ They are the only ones I can think of right now. I have books at home that may have more options. If you don't have an answer by tonight, I will look if I remember, and bring them in so I can send you links. I have a '46 Dodge WC p-up and a '41 Dodge WC p-up that I am restoring, so I have a bunch of listings, because they need wiring.
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

507-345-6425
http://www.nickscarcare.com
nickscarcare

Post by nickscarcare »

I haven't forgot, I just can't find the name of the other company now who make wiring harnesses that I was thinking of. Bums me out, because that is the one I was going with, I know its around the house somewhere. How come you can never find something when you are looking for it? LOL I will keep searching unless you found someone to get a harness from. I had a '69 Super Bee that I did for a customer and if I remember right that one came from painless, all the wires were imprinted on for what they were from the fuse block to the taillights!!
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

507-345-6425
http://www.nickscarcare.com
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

now i've been around for a while and was learned on 55 chebby's and flat heads. there really isn't much wiring involved for the rear lights on this car. now i know to me it's no big deal and since i wire construction equipment and trailers have a large assortment of spooled wire and sleeves. i would make my own harness. your not going to find factory and you can control your own quality. i purchase all my wire rolls at a local electrical supply house. the mesh sleeve that contains the wire is easily attained and it's easy to use. when it's all crunched up you can drive a v.w. through it. it's like the stuff they use for trees. i've always had the attitude of having what i need to make something like this harness. if you put a price on the time you've already invested into this it may persuade you to stock the raw materials needed to do this and trailers as well. going from memory here unless there is added features such as rear speakers there are two to the gas tank, tail, brake, and reverse lights. so you need white, black, purple, green, yellow, and brown. i would make a 10 or 12' loom and slice and pull out as needed. there is going to be a splice for the reverse and tail lights but that's about it.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Well steve, I understand where you are coming from and I agree with your logic regarding using wiring supplies that you have, This customer WANTS what he WANTS and he WANTS NEW ORIGINAL WIRING! And he informed me when he first brought the car that I GET WHAT I WANT. He was looking for a good body shop to do a top notch paint job on the car. He found it to the tune of $8,800.00 and a few weeks after the car gets back, the paint starts cracking at various places. He is taking it back for a new paint job. Hows that for an ideal customer now? He says he hasn't found a wiring harness for the car but he knows that I know where to get this stuff. I am at a point that the next customer with a vehicle restoration project will be politely refused. No ands, ifs, or buts. I don't need this kind of person to deal with. Somehow I am not feeling very comfortable with this fellow.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

i can see this two ways here. he may be a pest but he also may (and appears to) be willing to pay top dollar for a quality job. now, i've seen harnesses come from these companies that look as much as oem as one i can make. they are out there and if he's willing to pay then i would track one down like a blood hound. now on the other hand if he wants oem than i would steer him in certain directions and allow him to make the choice. to many times i made a decision along these lines and have had the customer tell me it's not what he was looking for. i'm wondering if that discovery channel show about the texas junk yard can be a lead towards finding an oem harness.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Return to “GM Cars”