2001 Saturn SL - Brakes

Specific repair issues for all GM cars + FWD vans
92zman
200 Club: Major Contributor

2001 Saturn SL - Brakes

Post by 92zman »

Got 2001 Saturn here that when u are driving around 50 and up and start to hit the brakes it shacks. U feel it in the pedle and the streering wheel. Put front rotors on it and buffed off all the rust on the hub and put on rear drums and it did seem to get better. Put is still there. Any ideas ( this is the boss G/F car ) lol
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Re: 2001 Saturn SL - Brakes

Post by Tim Martin »

Well, I have seen even new rotors and drums out of the box needing turned. Been there done that already. Not saying that's what you got but it's worth a shot. Are the rear brakes adjusted properly? That can also do it.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Id resurface rotors on the vehicle there may be play in the bearings or something.
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by ricmorin »

Dial micrometer measurements? What's the runout?
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
jbadenoch
400 Club: Mega-Star Contributor
400 Club: Mega-Star Contributor

Post by jbadenoch »

Id drive it and apply p-brake and at least seperate fr from rear. More commonly have seen out of round drums than rotors
nickscarcare
750 Club: World Class Contributor
750 Club: World Class Contributor

Post by nickscarcare »

Dial run out gauge would tell you alot!! Snug up the rotor on the car and install runout gauge, read measurement, probably out of spec, don't rely on just because the rotors are new!! Been there before.
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

507-345-6425
http://www.nickscarcare.com
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

probably a run out issue. the way it kicks back the brake pedal and shakes the wheel it sound drastic. should be noticeable with the front wheels spinning on a lift. may be a bent hub. a run out gauge is a great tool but i see a lot of shops that don't have one. unfortunately i'm seeing a lot of shops that don't have proper diagnostic tools but that's another story. leave the wheels on and spin it. i have a feeling that the r/f will wobble and need a hub. if this is true also look closely at the caliper. it may have had the sh*t shaken out of it and need replacing. it being the bosses piece and he's probably eating it, don't let his wallet effect your diagnostics. i can't begin to tell you how many times someone has brought a vehicle in for a pulsation and when after i pull teeth and see a bent hub or even a strut suddenly the remember hitting a pot hole that threw them across the road. :lol: :lol: :lol:
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Isn't it interesting how that after the repairs are made then the driver pops the question "DId that happen back the other day when I got off the road or ..........?" "Oh yea, that's when the problem started" If only you could extract the info before you began the diagnosis.
92zman

Post by 92zman »

Found hubs to be bad. Dont know why i really cant see her out jumping the car. lol
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

sometimes it's harder extracting information than doing the work. more than a few times when a husband and wife droped a vehicle off for repair with a story or issue i've called them separately and asked what really happened. that's when the real story comes out. i've had some real doozies. the vehicles that the children drive i never get the story but i've often thought "how in the hell did that happen" this couldn't happen if you tried to do it. :lol: :lol:
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Return to “GM Cars”