2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser - Fuel Smell

Specific repair issues for Dodge cars & FWD vans
tom2
25 Club: Starting Contributor

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser - Fuel Smell

Post by tom2 »

Hi everyone we have a 2005 PT Cruiser that has a fuel smell from the tank area.

Tech smoked throught the fuel fill neck and saw smoke from above the tank. Pulled the tank and sealed off all in/out let smoked tank No Smoke any were. Checked the fuel inlet hose & vent hose to the fill neck with No smoke leak there either. Checked the body lines into and out of the tank with no leaks there.

Has any one seen any thing like this? Thinking intermittent problem with fuel vent canister.

Been on this one 3 days and being over 50 I don't have a lot of hair to keep pulling out.
Tom
@
E.C.A.E
In Sunny San Diego
fortknoxx
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Re: PT Cruiser fuel smell

Post by fortknoxx »

could it have been coming out of the fill hose/vent hose connection to the tank?
any history on this vehicle? consider when did they first start smelling fuel.
was it after....
a fender bender
sliding into a snow bank
hairdressers cat replaced fuel pump
you replaced wiper blades?
T-N-T (Tina Nuse-Tolar)
Gone but not forgotten...Camper Bob's

609-760-7079 Cell
tom2

Re: PT Cruiser fuel smell

Post by tom2 »

Only history is oil changes [We did ] Brakes & Light bulbs.
Only ones to work on vec since new.
Tech said vent hose was clamped off with brake line clamp.
Cust has noticed smell for awhile :roll:
Not just on fill up's No topping of of tank [Had 3/4 tank when we got it] Not just turning left or right or over Not just anything
Tom
@
E.C.A.E
In Sunny San Diego
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser - Fuel Smell

Post by steven kiser »

the fuel smell may or may not be from the tank. the car isn't really that big. i've seen the pumps that pressurize the evap system leak fumes. the smoke i use has a ultra violet dye in it that will show up under a black light. i've just let them sit out of the way under pressure for a while and then take another look. i would also put the dye in the tank and have the customer drive it for a tankful of gas. there may be a small fluid leak that evaporates before you catch it. leave the hood open and take a good hard look at the injectors. look at the filler neck where the cap seals. i've seen them distorted. i take a grease crayon and run it along the top of the filler neck and then screw the cap on and off and check the neck to see if there is any sign of an area that isn't hitting the cap seal.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
tom2

Post by tom2 »

Put tank back in [1/2 way] supported on an transmisson jack reconnected every thing and resmoked it No sign of a leak any were
returned it to the cust last night and she drove it all day Call and said great job no smell of fuel at all .
Told her we did not know what the cause was,Maybe a loose line ? Maybe a evap canister Dont' know She payed for tank r&r so I guess no loss
But I think it will be back
Tom
@
E.C.A.E
In Sunny San Diego
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

light a prayer candle....................................
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Return to “Dodge Cars”