1989 Ford Probe GT - Brake Bleeding

Specific repair issues for Ford cars & FWD vans
joetngallagher

1989 Ford Probe GT - Brake Bleeding

Post by joetngallagher »

I have a customer with a 1989 Probe GT (aka Mazda MX6). After doing a complete brake job I bled the system. The next day the pedal went to the floor. I repeated the Bleed procedure several times with the same result. I had the system bled with a pressure bleeder and they were fine for a week, then the same old problem, pedal went to floor. I was present when the other shop bled the system and we all checked for a possible leak. We all determined there was no hydraulic leak anywhere in the brake system.

Does anyone know if there is some specific way to bleed these brakes that will get all the air out and not cause the pedal to soften after sitting overnight?

We have put two new master cylinders on it!

Thanks ahead for any help,
Joe Gallagher
joetngallagher@aol.com
Nashville, TN
Last edited by joetngallagher on Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
prestigeauto
50 Club: Regular Contributor

Re: 1989 Ford Probe GT - Brake Bleeding

Post by prestigeauto »

I would say the master cylinder is bad. I guess you would have to plug the ports at the cylinder and see if it still loses pressure.
joetngallagher

Post by joetngallagher »

We have put two NEW master cylinders on it
prestigeauto

Post by prestigeauto »

Confirmation that I hate Ford Probes. Nothing but trouble!!! Good Luck! Remember to post fix.
liljoe
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Post by liljoe »

I would drive till the peddle goes low and then block off all 4 brake hoses and have a helper press on brakes while removing clamps one at a time and see which one causes trhe most drop in peddle. I have had calipers that would get air in them and not leak fluid. Hope you figure this one out and let us all know.
Working hard to prove the Green Team can do it with the best of 'em.
Always remember: AIN'T NO FREE LUNCHES!!
Am I the Only One?- I don't think I am.
The further a society retreats from the truth, the more it hates those who speak it. George Orwell.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

I would block off the lines and check. I have never had any issues bleeding these. Just because a part is new doesnt make it good.
wbuxton
1000 Club: Interstellar

Post by wbuxton »

Does it have anti-lock? I remember having to use a tool that pluged into the controller and it would activate the pump. Next step was cycle each valve while bleeding each wheel. It was a Rotunda tool that I had to use 3 or 4 times and did not like it but it worked.

I think it was on a T-bird or Crown Vic, no direct experience with Probes.
Uncle PETA said I could come back.
William
Weatherford, TX
817-599-7680
866-744-3887
http://www.phoenixtrans.com
Pauls Automotive

Post by Pauls Automotive »

The bleeding seq. is RR, LF, LR, RF

I have had rear calipers on those cause me this type of problem. What I do to isolate the problem area is have someone sit in the car and pump up the pedal and then using needle nose vise grips......this is important..adjust them so they don't crush the hose.....pinch the hose shut at each wheel. then the person in the car can release the pressure. now if he hits the pedal agian and it has a good pedal then the problem is at the wheels if it is bad it is higher up (Master cylinder or prop valve or ABS). If it is at the wheel have him hold pressure and release the vise grips one at a time till the pedal drops and you will find the culprit. Just be careful not to damage the brake hoses.
Paul
Pauls Automotive
6318 Falls Road
Baltimore, Md 21209
410-825-2224
paul@paulsauto.com
TRUE HAPPINESS IS WITHIN YOU
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

does it have abs?. if air got into abs driver that may be your problem. the only way that i know of for getting the air out is using a ford scanner to activate abs system while bleeding. in rare occasions i've had air getting into the system through the the seals beng installed improperly on the caliper piston. i've also seen brake fluid bil in the caliper and even after t cooled down a little amount of air remained. if this were the case you'de see the rotors turning a blue color. where is the air appearing? when it's pressure bled is it only coming out of the rear? one caliper?. never assume that the parts originally replaced are functioning properly. good luck.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Stewart Levy
100 Club: Active Contributor
100 Club: Active Contributor

Post by Stewart Levy »

SO Whats Going on Is it Fixed? :?:
If they don't know how can they fix it!
joetngallagher

Post by joetngallagher »

SHIPPED CAR TO DEALER. CUSTOMER RETURNED TO ME AND SHOWED ME AN INVOICE FOR $1355. STILL NOT FIXED. HE'S GETTING A LAWYER

Return to “Ford Cars”