2002 Mercury Villager - Crankshaft Sensor Voltage?

Specific repair issues for Ford cars & FWD vans
Princeton Auto
50 Club: Regular Contributor
50 Club: Regular Contributor

2002 Mercury Villager - Crankshaft Sensor Voltage?

Post by Princeton Auto »

2002 Mercury Villager--I have continues returning CKP code P1336. Does the CKP have a 5 volt signal sent to it? It is a 2 wire sensor. I cannot find any information about that.

Installed new sensor. Checked all wires for continuity and shorts.
Michael
Princeton Auto Service Center
liljoe
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Re: 2002 Mercury Villager - Crankshaft Sensor Voltage?

Post by liljoe »

Found this on identifix. Hope it helps.
Vehicle Application: 2002 Mercury Villager 3.3L

Customer Concern: The engine runs rough even though it starts up OK. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) is setting P1336 in Keep Alive Memory (KAM).
Tests/Procedures: 1. Check resistance of the Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor. It should indicate 300-600 ohms.

2. Address the rough running condition as a separate condition from the P1336 code.
Monitor the 0 to 5-volt square wave signals of the distributor assembly with the engine running.
The White (WH) wire is the equivalent of a CKP input to the PCM for triggering of spark and injection pulse.
The Orange (OG) wire is the Camshaft Position (CMP) sensor input to the PCM used for sequential injector triggering.

3. If either signal appears to be erratic with the engine running, replace the distributor assembly and recheck the operating condition of the engine.

4. If the pattern is clean, check for the spark at the plug end of a wire to verify that the spark will jump a strong gap. Replace the distributor cap and rotor, wires, etc.

5. Nurse the engine-added fuel from propane or acetylene to determine if the engine runs better, indicating a lean condition. Clean the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor if needed.
Potential Causes: Cap & Rotor
Distributor
Contaminated Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor
Wiring

Tech Tips: The CKP sensor on this vehicle is only used by the PCM on this vehicle for misfire detection. It does not provide an input that the PCM uses for triggering injection or spark. P1336 is likely a result of what is causing the engine to run rough, rather than the cause of it.
Diagnostic Codes: P1336
Author: Steve Wilson
Average Reported Mileage: 282538

Confirmed Fix Summary

Confirmed Fix 1 - Fuel Pressure Regulator

Confirmed Fix Details

Tech Reported Fix Details Confirmed Fix
STEWART1
January 26, 2009 2002 Mercury Villager, 3.3L
Replaced Fuel Pressure Regulator
- fuel psi regulator pouring fuel into intake vacuum line resulting in engine flooding,misfires,very hard start. replaced regulator and plugs,runs great now. Fuel Pressure Regulator
Working hard to prove the Green Team can do it with the best of 'em.
Always remember: AIN'T NO FREE LUNCHES!!
Am I the Only One?- I don't think I am.
The further a society retreats from the truth, the more it hates those who speak it. George Orwell.
liljoe

Post by liljoe »

This too.
2000 Nissan Quest 3.3L

Customer Concern: Stalling on acceleration and running poorly at times. Had a code P1336 for the crankshaft position (CKP) sensor at the flywheel. Replaced the CKP sensor and the code returned.
Tests/Procedures: 1. Check strength of spark at the plugs with a round blade screwdriver - look for a good 1/2 inch minimum nice, strong, blue spark.

2. Put a timing light on it and verify firing consistently in time.

3. Scope the camshaft position sensor signals at the distributor on the Orange wire and the White wire - the Orange wire is a 0-5 volt square wave signal every 1 degree of crankshaft rotation, and the White wire is a 0-5 volt square wave signal every 120 degrees of crankshaft rotation with 5 narrow and 1 wide signal, with the wide signal denoting cylinder #1. See if either signal gets erratic or goes away when the problem occurs, which would indicate a defective distributor.

4. Scope the CKP sensor signal on the Light Green wire to see if the signal gets erratic.
Potential Causes: Distributor

Tech Tips: The CKP sensor on this vehicle is used for cylinder detect misfire, not engine control. The P1336 code is likely being set as a result of the running problem, but not causing the running problem.
Diagnostic Codes: P1336
Author: Wayne Pasicznyk
Average Reported Mileage: 92000
Working hard to prove the Green Team can do it with the best of 'em.
Always remember: AIN'T NO FREE LUNCHES!!
Am I the Only One?- I don't think I am.
The further a society retreats from the truth, the more it hates those who speak it. George Orwell.
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

i agree with what joe published. although i'm surprised it hasn't popped exhaust manifold gaskets and the transmission is still working. the quest is a proper name. it's on a quest for the junk yard. :lol: :lol: :lol:
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Return to “Ford Cars”