2002 Lincoln LS - Radio / Cruise Buttons FIXED

Specific repair issues for Ford cars & FWD vans
sbebenelli
750 Club: World Class Contributor

2002 Lincoln LS - Radio / Cruise Buttons FIXED

Post by sbebenelli »

I have a customer with a 2002 Lincoln LS that has buttons in the steering wheel for the cruise and radio. The cruise button is on the left and radio is on the right. They are independent of each other. The customer complaint is that the buttons will operate like you are pushing another button. Example....volume down might make it go up or set cruise might be resume.

This is an intermittent problem and I have never got it to act up. The only thing I can think of is the clock spring. Anyone else have any thoughts or have seen this?

2011 UPDATE: I started the thread below over a year ago and just now found out if it was fixed or not. The clockspring did fix the problem.
wbuxton
1000 Club: Interstellar
1000 Club: Interstellar

Re: 02 Lincoln LS radio & cruise buttons

Post by wbuxton »

If I remember correctly, :roll: , the buttons change the resistance through only two wires for the different commands. I would inspect the steering wheel for dust and dirt, possibly coffee.
Uncle PETA said I could come back.
William
Weatherford, TX
817-599-7680
866-744-3887
http://www.phoenixtrans.com
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by ricmorin »

I'd agree with the clockspring. Looks like the only thing common to both circuits.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

i agree with William. :shock: if the customer has a dog "there's yer sighn". if there are no other issues it's more than likely contamination or a loose plug. if there are a few other issues the problem may be a b.c.m. i would scan the body function to see if there are any codes. were there any add on's to the stereo system or anywhere else? i've seen after market remote starters and such cause issues like this. a wire that's been improperly back probed or spliced could be the culprit. we all have to remember, it's after christmas and now is the time we have to deal with all the "professionally" installed remote starters and stereos. i had an older crown vic come in last year with an intermittent fuel smell. after checking everything i smoked the system and the "professional" had screwed the amp in with 2 1/2" screws and there were 4 holes in the tank. :lol:
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
liljoe
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Re: 2002 Lincoln LS - Radio / Cruise Buttons

Post by liljoe »

Steve, I ran into that back in the late 90's with a new Town Car that the elderly lady that owned it had a car phone installed and they done the same thing mounting the reciever in the trunk. That is a good looking mounting spot, just don't work out so well when you try to use it.
Working hard to prove the Green Team can do it with the best of 'em.
Always remember: AIN'T NO FREE LUNCHES!!
Am I the Only One?- I don't think I am.
The further a society retreats from the truth, the more it hates those who speak it. George Orwell.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

i know. it's like there is a spot light and a band when you open the trunk pointing to that nice big flat spot in the trunk. i know if i was the engineer that designed that i would want to know how many tanks that got ruined just so i could sit back and smile. the other kicker is (i've seen this happen at another shop) the straps and lines have been removed and tank is still solid (haven't discovered the screws yet) jack was removed because tech ( :lol: ) thought tank was empty. it wasn't. after wiggling it a bit it came crashing down along with the drop light that was attached to it. :shock:. good thing is no one got hurt but the saying "Chinese fire drill" popped right into my mind. this is the same shop that a tech had supported the front of a rav 4 (same tech) with two 5' jack stands and swung the front lift legs out of the way for easier accessibility and then forgot to reset the lift arms when the lift was lowered. a buddy of mine that was called in to use his wrecker to help remove the mangled rav from it's impalement on the lift took pictures. yes, this is one of the shops that use junk yard parts painted and sold as reman...........
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
sbebenelli

Post by sbebenelli »

Wanted to update everyone on this one....

I took everyone advice and looked things over. This car is immaculate and inside the steering wheel was no exception. I ended up putting a clock spring in it. I let the customer know I wasn't sure if this was the problem. I gave no guaranties and they wanted me to put one in. At this time I have no idea if it is fixed or not. I will update this post when I find out.

Return to “Ford Cars”