2001 Ford Mustang - Overheating Or Is It? FIXED!!!

Specific repair issues for Ford cars & FWD vans
lewisautorepair

2001 Ford Mustang - Overheating Or Is It? FIXED!!!

Post by lewisautorepair »

OK, 01 mustang, v6. put heads on it in january, ran fine, cooled fine. april comes around and it heats up once. It intermittantly heats up since then. Now that its november the customer brings it to me, new thermostat, radiator and cylinder head temp sensor, water pump is pumping and there are no obvious blockages in the passages. The scan data indicates 230 - 240 and my heat gun indicates the radiator is 140- 160 when the fan kicks on at 217 on the scanner. The engine temp with the heat gun is 200- 210 at a freeze plug on the block. When the chts is unplugged the temp drops to 199 on the scan tool and the fans continue to run as expected. when it is plugged in it jumps 30 degrees hot or cold engine. whats going on? the temp guage hasn't gotten in the red or above three quarters on the guage. need help!!
Last edited by lewisautorepair on Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Re: 2001 Ford Mustang - Overheating Or Is It?

Post by brianp87 »

When the scanner reads 230 What are you getting infared at the sensor? at the inlet and outlet of radiator? Is the gauge numbered?
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 2001 Ford Mustang - Overheating Or Is It?

Post by steven kiser »

sounds like a problem in the harness.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
lewisautorepair

Re: 2001 Ford Mustang - Overheating Or Is It? FIXED!!!

Post by lewisautorepair »

FIXED!!!! AFTER ALL THAT SEARCHING I FOUND OUT IM STUPID. I SHOULD HAVE CHECKED MY BATTERY CONNECTIONS. SOMEONE PUT AN AFTERMARKET CABLE END ON IT AND THE NEGATIVE LEADS WERE CORRODED AND LOOSE. I REPAIRED THE LEADS AND REPLACED THE CABLE END AND THE TEMP IS STAYING IN THE MIDDLE AND AROUND 220-225. BAD GROUND CONNECTION AT THE BATTERY. EVERYTHING IS GOOD!! THANKS FOR THE HELP. IF YOU GO ROUND AND ROUND, ITS USUALLY SOMETHING SIMPLE AND RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU. :? STUPID
steven kiser

Re: 2001 Ford Mustang - Overheating Or Is It? FIXED!!!

Post by steven kiser »

man, talk about stumbling on a golden nugget in the path. the amp pull is so low it would be impossible to tell it was an issue unless you did stumble on it. great detective work. i'm still kind of at a loss as to it only effected the temp guage though.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Return to “Ford Cars”