2003 Windstar - C1185 ABS; Power Relay?

Specific repair issues for Ford cars & FWD vans
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

2003 Windstar - C1185 ABS; Power Relay?

Post by Tim Martin »

Customer has a plain Jane 03 Windstar that keeps throwing a C1185 Code in the ABS system. Testing leads me to an intermittant stuck power relay. My problem is this: What are they talking about by a power relay for the ABS system? The wiring diagrm in Mitchel 1 does not show a power relay for the ABS, only for the PCM. Is that the relay giving the problem? If not, where do I find the problem rely? Help!!!!!!
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 2003 Windstar Power Relay?

Post by steven kiser »

abs relay is part of the module. if you decide to replace it you may need a scan tool to activate the module while bleeding it. if you don't the pedal won't be worth a darn.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Where can I find that information steve?
If the relay is part of the ABS module, it would be very helpful if the service info would explain that.
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

The relay is a part of the module. I think you can infer that information by reading through the diagnostic routine in Mitchell and by looking at the diagram. The diagram shows no external relay and the routine states to replace the module when testing is done. BTW, this is a common code and we've replaced lots of modules for this reason.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
Tim Martin

Re: 2003 Windstar - C1185 ABS; Power Relay?

Post by Tim Martin »

Yea, I am getting the picture. It is interesting though, I called 2 of the local Ford dealers in my area and they both list a ABS relay in the power distribution box by the battery. I have the feeling that we will be replacing the ABS module in spite of what the parts info says.

Thanks for the input.
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Tim Martin wrote:Yea, I am getting the picture. It is interesting though, I called 2 of the local Ford dealers in my area and they both list a ABS relay in the power distribution box by the battery. I have the feeling that we will be replacing the ABS module in spite of what the parts info says.

Thanks for the input.
We've run into that before.....they show one somehow but you'll be hard pressed to find where it goes. :oops:
603-622-6434 x203

steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

on occasion when i'm working on a ford or a mazda crossover i feel like a blind man in the woods being chased by a pit bull. the best advise i can give is to jump back and forth a year. we do a lot of diagnostic work here and i always seem to run into situations like this one. after a while you get accustomed to blind alley diagnostics. :shock: like i said before make sure you don't need the scan tool to bleed the module before you do the job. a good pressure bleeder with adjustable pressure can blow the air out as well but the pumping brake pedal bleed will defiantly not get all the air out.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

....and some of those parts guys aren't really looking it up.....they're going by memory :shock:
603-622-6434 x203

Return to “Ford Cars”