2002 Ford Taurus - Intake Man Vacum Leak

Specific repair issues for Ford cars & FWD vans
Holly
25 Club: Starting Contributor

2002 Ford Taurus - Intake Man Vacum Leak

Post by Holly »

I have a vacuum leak around the intake manifold area. Have had the intake off 3 different times and have not fould it. Put sealer on O'rings but not replaced them.

Any ideas?
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Re: 2002 Ford Taurus - Intake Man Vacum Leak

Post by Tim Martin »

I absolutely will not reuse o rings once I have them off. Neither will I use sealer on rubber o rings. It usually does not work. My advice is get new seals, make sure all the sealing surfaces are perfectly dry and torque the fasteners properly. Proper torque is a big factor on these aluminum and or plastic intakes. Been there done that already.
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

i've had the manifolds crack around the area where the air intake attaches to them. now saying that i've also had intakes sound like they were sucking air and weren't. if the iac is restricted it will sound like someone is sucking air through a straw.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
a&mauto
500 Club: Champion Contributor
500 Club: Champion Contributor

Post by a&mauto »

I agree with everything already mentioned. If you still have a leak after using new o rings, and you dont have a smoke machine, borrow one. It will save you soooooooo much time.
Adam Jadovitz
A & M Automotive
Lake Elsinore, CA
951-245-1562
http://www.aandmautorepair.com
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Dude! I forgot to mention the smoke machine. Great idea. I use it and it does work.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

agreed with smoke machine. didn't mention it before. i'll also use propane or carb cleaner. i'll spray it around the intake and look for a rpm change. i took a screw on torch head for a propane bottle and cut the rose bud off and attached a piece of neoprene hose to it so i can get into tiny places. i've had a few times with the carb cleaner that a leaking plug wire has sent me scrambling. :roll: i've also run into situations where the leak was internal and difficult to find. just to quell my curiosity here, what are the trim readings? if you remove the oil cap does it effect the idle?
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

steven kiser wrote:agreed with smoke machine. didn't mention it before. i'll also use propane or carb cleaner. i'll spray it around the intake and look for a rpm change. i took a screw on torch head for a propane bottle and cut the rose bud off and attached a piece of neoprene hose to it so i can get into tiny places. i've had a few times with the carb cleaner that a leaking plug wire has sent me scrambling. :roll: i've also run into situations where the leak was internal and difficult to find. just to quell my curiosity here, what are the trim readings? if you remove the oil cap does it effect the idle?

I use both propane and carb also

Return to “Ford Cars”