POLL #2: Parts Only Available From OE

Registered Forum Members Can Vote! Forum members respond to business & software questions

What percentage of parts required end up being OE ONLY?

More often than not (greater than 50%)
10%
With some frequency (10% - 49%)
67%
Almost never (less than 10%)
23%

Total votes: 30
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

POLL #2: Parts Only Available From OE

Post by timbre4 »

I was asked my opinion about what shops think on this question and decided it was better to let you all comment directly on the matter and then give that information to the interested party rather than my heresay.

This is strictly hypothetical, nothing is in development. This is merely posing the question to measure response to see if there is a market to develop for OE parts. This concept is based on a single Asian mfg at this time.

Thanks as always for taking time to vote and comment.
Last edited by timbre4 on Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
Rich
4K Ultra Amazing Contributor
4K Ultra Amazing Contributor

Post by Rich »

Seldom do we not find parts that can't be gotten aftermarket. But there are MANY parts we will ONLY get from OEM. I voted for less than 10% because you asked for availability.
Rich Hays
Work 9-11 or 616-696-0020
Being able to get CAPE off a Skew T chart is important in this hobby.
fortknoxx
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Post by fortknoxx »

I chose 10-49%

We do specialty work; we use a high % of oe parts. We require quality. On tune ups we use oe plugs and wires we do not do many come backs. Ford 6.0 ff's are cheaper in motorcraft than in the a/m. Delco's allison tf's are cheaper than a/m.
T-N-T (Tina Nuse-Tolar)
Gone but not forgotten...Camper Bob's

609-760-7079 Cell
f8jon360
100 Club: Active Contributor
100 Club: Active Contributor

Post by f8jon360 »

Yeah the question is kinda vague. I went with the 10-49 bracket, I think OE is probably really somewhere around 35% or a lil higher, but that is MY specification. Rich's response is also correct because the vagueness allows him to answer the way he did- in an absolute sense, you CAN buy almost everything aftermarket.
Jim Brown
50 Club: Regular Contributor
50 Club: Regular Contributor

Post by Jim Brown »

I don't believe the question asked yields the most beneficial answer. I voted 10% (or less) because seldom are the parts not available from the aftermarket. Whether or not the part is suitable for the application, or if the part is of high enough quality to stake my name on is a different question. I suspect that the real question is whether or not seeking integration with the OE system(s) for parts ordering would be a benefit to the average Mitchell1 user. The answer to that is, "It depends." :)

The real numbers of our purchasing is much higher than the 10% vote that I gave, mostly for some of the issues listed above, as well as others, such as convenience. In the last 5 years, we have purchased parts from an aftermarket source 69.60% of the time, have purchased from an OEM dealer 30.21% of the time, and have data entry errors resulting in an unknown vendor or have purchased parts from deleted vendors .19% of the time. However, we source our parts from many more OEM dealers than we do aftermarket parts suppliers. Simply removing our primary aftermarket vendor (WorldPac) makes the OEM/Aftermarket split come out to 50/50.

We are currently set up to purchase via the 'net from Toyota, and I would welcome the ability to do this with many more OEM vendors. A networked link to various OEM vendors through Mitchell is something I would find beneficial.

TR
timjlive
200 Club: Major Contributor

Post by timjlive »

Jim Brown wrote:A networked link to various OEM vendors through Mitchell is something I would find beneficial.

TR
I couldn't have said it better. :)
Tim L.
Falls Uptown Motors
920-467-2311
Pauls Automotive
1000 Club: Interstellar
1000 Club: Interstellar

Post by Pauls Automotive »

I Third that motion!
Paul
Pauls Automotive
6318 Falls Road
Baltimore, Md 21209
410-825-2224
paul@paulsauto.com
TRUE HAPPINESS IS WITHIN YOU
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

So far this inquiry is limited to only one OE's potential interest, but that's one more than before.

Please everybody vote on these two POLL questions ASAP as I want to forward your opinions early next week.
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
Matt R.

Post by Matt R. »

We work mainly on diesel pickup trucks. I am including O.E. when I have to call International for Powerstroke parts, Cummins for Dodge Cummins parts etc. There is definetaly a market for O.E. parts. Dorman is generally a good source to check as well.
This is my Mitchell One Shop Manager Plus Program. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Return to “Polls”