Quest For Best LOF Setup?

A place to post for now; some will turn into TIPS under the other topics
kingwoodshell
50 Club: Regular Contributor

Quest For Best LOF Setup?

Post by kingwoodshell »

This is an old topic that I would like to revisit. Its 2014 and just about every other car that comes in takes more than five quarts. How do y'all have your canned jobs or LOF packages set up. We've never used the LOF package (no real reason, just never have). How do you account for the cars with five or less so that inventory is accurate. The bundled price option will not change inventory properly. This is a battle I've been dealing with for a long time, and I ignore it for a while and then come back to it....as you can guess I'm coming back to it right now.
Its always nice to have new input from this forum, so thank you for all your help.

Dan
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: Quest for best LOF set up.

Post by ricmorin »

We have a canned job of the type of oil change required using 5 quarts. That's the starting point. Those canned jobs have a set price based on 5 quarts and are broken down by oil type or spec requirement. For instance, I have a VW 502 spec canned job with 2 different weights. I have a 5w20 and 5w30 jobs, etc. Then we go to Manager and get the quantity. Once we know all this detail, we create a specific job in Rev9 for that customer/vehicle, based off the generic canned ones. If you have more than 5, you pay more. If you have less than 5, you pay less.

There's just too many types of oil, specs and quantities out there to use packages or one set price.

Frankly, the plain old oil change is a thing of the past. I've been working hard to get out of that and working toward maintenance intervals. You can charge what you're worth and there's more benefit to the customer. The quickie chains are just beating this as a commodity to the consumer. In fact, the chain down the street is doing them for 10.99!
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
kingwoodshell

Re: Quest For Best LOF Setup?

Post by kingwoodshell »

Thanks for the response Ric, as always. That's definitely food for thought. Its high time we start moving away from the way things used to be. Sure would make my inventory easier....LOL.
Rich
4K Ultra Amazing Contributor

Post by Rich »

I have two canned jobs, LOF4 and LOF5, I click on those and it then brings up all of the oils we have in stock. I select the proper oil and add to RO. I then look up the filter. ANY time a customer gets a new vehicle I add the LOF details to Revision 9.

I know guys will have things like VWGS540/5 and I guess that makes sense if you remember that code. My pea sized brain has no room for that. I rely on Revision 9 for about 90%.

This also make it very easy when customer Ric Morin calls, asks me to change the oil in his 2014 Porsche Panamera. i open the RO and I look at that revision and I know what we use, because I may be thinking of the oil we put in his wifes 2013 BMW 535i GT. :shock:

In revision 9 i also include in caps (if needed) WE DO NOT STOCK THIS OIL/FILTER. as a reminder to myself to order the stuff.
Rich Hays
Work 9-11 or 616-696-0020
Being able to get CAPE off a Skew T chart is important in this hobby.
kingwoodshell

Post by kingwoodshell »

Thank you Rich. Ric must really, really, really, really love the service you provide if he drives from New Hampshire to Michigan for an oil change. :wink:
Rich

Post by Rich »

what? Are you kidding, I drive out there and pick it up.
Rich Hays
Work 9-11 or 616-696-0020
Being able to get CAPE off a Skew T chart is important in this hobby.
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Now THAT's service!
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
kingwoodshell

Post by kingwoodshell »

OMG, No that is some hard core service!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Return to “Tips + Ideas”